need help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : need help

WHITEDUST
01-12-2011, 08:41 PM
well guys today in the morning my wife was taking my little girl to school and after she let the car warm up she turn the heater on and nope no show

the heater didnt work for some weird reason and it was working fine last night never had a problem with it guys what do yall think is the problem where should i start looking please help cuz its frezzing out side yall know what i mean thanks in advance

Malaclypse
01-12-2011, 08:42 PM
You're probably low on coolant.

Likely to be a coolant leak from the lower intake gaskets or water pump.

WHITEDUST
01-12-2011, 09:16 PM
oh ok and this causes the heater not to work

ok illl checkout the gasket tommorow after work thanks

AaronGTR
01-12-2011, 09:35 PM
There is pretty much always coolant running through the heater core and the coolant bypass running back to the water pump, until the thermostat opens up and sends coolant to the radiator. In my opinion, if the coolant was low enough that you weren't getting any to the heater core, your low coolant light would be on, and also with no coolant flow the engine would overheat. Even if it was very cold outside. It would actually cause the heads to warp.

I think the problem is something else. Either the thermostat is stuck open making the engine take a very long time to warm up, the heater core itself or the hoses to it are plugged, or there is a vacuum leak in one of the lines that controls the flap between the heater core and the A/C evaporator.

2000 GT Coupe
01-12-2011, 10:49 PM
There is pretty much always coolant running through the heater core and the coolant bypass running back to the water pump, until the thermostat opens up and sends coolant to the radiator. In my opinion, if the coolant was low enough that you weren't getting any to the heater core, your low coolant light would be on, and also with no coolant flow the engine would overheat. Even if it was very cold outside. It would actually cause the heads to warp.

I think the problem is something else. Either the thermostat is stuck open making the engine take a very long time to warm up, the heater core itself or the hoses to it are plugged, or there is a vacuum leak in one of the lines that controls the flap between the heater core and the A/C evaporator.

I agree with Aaron a very likely problem is the mix control is not opening to heat. Do these use a actuator to control the mix?

skifreak122
01-13-2011, 08:14 AM
By your heater being a 'no show', do you mean that the blower was working but not blowing hot air? Or was there no air blowing out the vents at all?