which tierod ends are the best? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : which tierod ends are the best?

cutlsp
01-17-2011, 12:54 PM
I have had to replace my grand am's tie rod ends 2 times since I got it almost 3 years ago. I'm wondering which tie rod ends are the best because I am looking at replacing them again. Last time I did them I got the Moog brand and they lasted about a year and a half even with me greasing them every oil change. I am looking at the Deeza brand tie rod ends for the car as the next replacement. I just want some input on the Tie rod ends before I replace them again.

WidbyJ
01-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Sounds odd to me, are the tires in good condition, balanced and aligned? Have the hubs been replaced yet? Tie rod ends usually last much longer than that, even the cheaper ones.

G.I.Ceo
01-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Is it the tire rods themselves going bad or just the bushings? If its the bushings you can get replacement ones from energy suspension and all you need to do is measure them for size. Energy bushings hold up real well and there is none better IMO then them.

cutlsp
01-17-2011, 03:38 PM
the tie rod ends are a problem I've had with this car for a while but then again I do push that car very hard. The bushings on the control arms are good but I am hunting down a set of aluminum ones for the car. The ties are perfectly balanced and the car is aligned to spec I am ASE certified in steering and suspension and brakes. So i thought it was alignment at first too but it still wore out the tie rod ends. When I say I push the car I mean the car sees any auto-crossing event that I can afford to enter it in just to see if I can beat the other cars in its class. So I'm thinking it could also be the grease I'm using isn't good enough keep them operating smoothly. Is there a better full synthetic grease to use in them? I'm leaning towards the Deeza tie rod ends for the 2 year warranty.

AaronGTR
01-17-2011, 06:03 PM
62,000 miles on my factory ones (hard miles, with track use) and they are still in good shape. I'd recommend springing for some OEM ones instead if the cheap aftermarket brands.

Malaclypse
01-17-2011, 06:58 PM
How long did your factory tie rods last vs the aftermarket ones?

Sounds like OEM may be worth another shot.

cutlsp
01-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Well right now I can't exactly afford the OEM ones they were 138 bucks or something at the local dealership if I had that much money to spend i'd do it but I don't. I may just have to try the Deeza Tie rod ends and see if they hold up any better just check them weekly rather then monthly. I might try a set of AC Delco ones though they are the same as cheap aftermarket with the zirk fitting. I tried to find a set of sealed tie rod ends for the car I am having no luck in that matter. Does anyone know of a brand that makes a sealed tie rod end for these cars?

AaronGTR
01-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Outer tie rod for 02-05 grand am, $71.52 on gmpartsdirect.com. Wholesale beats the stealership every time. ;)

Malaclypse
01-18-2011, 07:28 PM
OEM tie rods are sealed.

Sometimes I just don't trust aftermarket parts... The list I have going is A/C compressors, alternators, starters and fuel pumps. Guess I have to add tie-rods too.

cutlsp
01-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Yeah I've kind of learned that the tierods that aren't OEM don't last long at all. I went to a J/Y and got a set off another grand am that didn't make any noises when I turned the wheel. They came off a 05 with only 48k miles on it but its rear end was smashed. I felt bad pulling the parts off it but the motor and transmission were already gone.

Malaclypse
01-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Yeah I've kind of learned that the tierods that aren't OEM don't last long at all. I went to a J/Y and got a set off another grand am that didn't make any noises when I turned the wheel. They came off a 05 with only 48k miles on it but its rear end was smashed. I felt bad pulling the parts off it but the motor and transmission were already gone.

If the car is in a yard you've done it a favor. You've made it useful again. I'd say as long as the joints in the tie-rods felt smooth when you were rotating them by hand... and not overly loose, you'll be just fine.

I think OEM parts are designed to more strict tolerances and expected service life.

cutlsp
01-18-2011, 08:15 PM
They moved very smooth when I turned them by hand I was hoping they had a 99 with aluminum control arms but they were already gone. I will put them on my car when I have more time to fix it. I will keep looking for a 99 with aluminum control arms I would rather pull them myself then have to ask someone else to get them for me.