Milzy Motorsports tranny question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Milzy Motorsports tranny question

icecats87
01-19-2011, 07:15 PM
So i have a 4t45e in the shopping cart for my 2001 grand am gt with 3.29 gear ratio i chose the 80k-100k miles, total comes out to $449 and for shipping options it says unable to calculate shipping, how much do you think it will cost to ship?

Im asking this because im in a tranny class this semester and tomorrow were looking at mine, and taking it apart to see if we can use parts from the one in the shop to fix it. But if everything's bad he said buy one and will put it in class

AleroB888
01-19-2011, 07:57 PM
So i have a 4t45e in the shopping cart for my 2001 grand am gt with 3.29 gear ratio i chose the 80k-100k miles, total comes out to $449 and for shipping options it says unable to calculate shipping, how much do you think it will cost to ship?

Im asking this because im in a tranny class this semester and tomorrow were looking at mine, and taking it apart to see if we can use parts from the one in the shop to fix it. But if everything's bad he said buy one and will put it in class

I've got a 4T45E in my garage you can have, but it's not a 3.29 gear. It's out of a CO Springs Alero that got parted due to hail damage. Not sure of the miles, ask Kyle ( 99Alero Boy ).

icecats87
01-19-2011, 08:10 PM
I've got a 4T45E in my garage you can have, but it's not a 3.29 gear. It's out of a CO Springs Alero that got parted due to hail damage. Not sure of the miles, ask Kyle ( 99Alero Boy ).

Is it 3.09 ratio? and whats the difference between them on the gt? would it be less performance? and is it under 100k miles or over? and how much do you want for it?

AleroB888
01-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Is it 3.09 ratio? and whats the difference between them on the gt? would it be less performance? and is it under 100k miles or over? and how much do you want for it?

Ask your instructor if you can use the differential out of the one that's in your car now. I think it's under 100k, out of the car Kyle got from John in CO Springs.

It's free, I need to clean out the garage so I can move.

icecats87
01-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Ask your instructor if you can use the differential out of the one that's in your car now. I think it's under 100k, out of the car Kyle got from John in CO Springs.

It's free, I need to clean out the garage so I can move.

Alright sweet man i had lab tomorrow and ill talk to him ill let you know tomorrow, its in Colorado springs right?

AleroB888
01-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Alright sweet man i had lab tomorrow and ill talk to him ill let you know tomorrow, its in Colorado springs right?

No, unfortunately, I'm on the north side of Denver, close to 92nd and I25.

If you have friends up in this area, maybe they could pick it up and meet you half way, I have no way to move it.

AaronGTR
01-19-2011, 09:03 PM
It should be a 3.15 final drive, but you should be able to swap that out for the 3.29 FDR diff in your old transmission as long as it's not damaged. They are all interchangeable.

icecats87
01-19-2011, 09:17 PM
No, unfortunately, I'm on the north side of Denver, close to 92nd and I25.

If you have friends up in this area, maybe they could pick it up and meet you half way, I have no way to move it.

Actually this is better because i go home a lot and live in Lafayette which is right by highway 36 im about 20 min away from 36 and I25 i wont be going home for a couple weeks if its ok with you

It should be a 3.15 final drive, but you should be able to swap that out for the 3.29 FDR diff in your old transmission as long as it's not damaged. They are all interchangeable.

Okay thanks aaron were taking it out of the car tomorrow and ill see if its damaged or not

AleroB888
01-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Actually this is better because i go home a lot and live in Lafayette which is right by highway 36 im about 20 min away from 36 and I25 i wont be going home for a couple weeks if its ok with you ...

That's fine, it will be here

HOYS
01-19-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm wondering why you posted here to ask a question that you should ask MMS...not GAGT forums.

stewartfn18
01-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm wondering why you posted here to ask a question that you should ask MMS...not GAGT forums.

i think his original intention was to find out how much shipping would be from mms, but then was offered one local for free. does it really matter milzy nuthugger?

HOYS
01-19-2011, 10:13 PM
i think his original intention was to find out how much shipping would be from mms, but then was offered one local for free. does it really matter milzy nuthugger?

It doesn't matter what the business is. If you want to know the delivery charge for Dominos you call Dominos, not the Pizza Orderers Association Of America.

slw240sx
01-20-2011, 09:55 AM
It doesn't matter what the business is. If you want to know the delivery charge for Dominos you call Dominos, not the Pizza Orderers Association Of America.

do you need a hug. you're being awfully grumpy... lol
it was im guessing around 10:30 pm our time when OP posted he probably didnt want to be a **** and call after business hours to ask the question which in order to get a good quote would have had to wait till the next day. someone on here has probably bought a shipped trans and has a rough idea of shipping cost. This actually worked in his favor and he came up on a free one. sucks for milzy, but hey thats business! cant compete with friendly free gestures, nor should you pass them up! that just leaves him more money to spend on go fast parts and who knows if the people around milzy treated him really good maybe he'd even consider spending them in milzy's shop since he now has about 6-700 bucks he planned on spending anyway to play with.

Jon

stewartfn18
01-20-2011, 08:30 PM
it was im guessing around 10:30 pm our time when OP posted he probably didnt want to be a **** and call after business hours to ask the question which in order to get a good quote would have had to wait till the next day. someone on here has probably bought a shipped trans and has a rough idea of shipping cost. This actually worked in his favor and he came up on a free one. sucks for milzy, but hey thats business! cant compete with friendly free gestures, nor should you pass them up! that just leaves him more money to spend on go fast parts and who knows if the people around milzy treated him really good maybe he'd even consider spending them in milzy's shop since he now has about 6-700 bucks he planned on spending anyway to play with.

Jon

thank you kind sir...lol

icecats87
01-20-2011, 09:52 PM
So i talked to my professor today, he said the 3.15 ratio would be ok if i keep this gear ratio he said when it shifts it will be at 2% higher RPMS, is this correct? also he said he hasnt done a 4t45e in awhile and doesnt know how easy it would be to swap the differentials, has anyone done this? and if so how hard is it?

HOYS
01-20-2011, 10:59 PM

Jon

Why didn't you give me a hug today? I'm hurt :)

cutlsp
01-21-2011, 01:31 AM
IRC the differential is held on by 4 bolts like on the 4T65E not sure on that though. How long it takes to get it swapped out depends on your experience.

AaronGTR
01-21-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm pretty sure swapping the differential is harder than on the 4T65E. IIRC the 4T65 has a removable cap on the side where the diff is, but the 4T45 doesn't so you have to remove the output shaft with all the clutches and stuff from the other side. It shouldn't be that big a deal though with the trans already out of the car. Might be a good idea anyway to inspect the condition of the clutches while you are at it, and you could upgrade them to raybestos reds or blues while you are at it. I certainly would want the 3.29 FDR if it was me. You will lose some acceleration with 3.15 gearing and this car needs all it can get. You can go even higher than 3.29 with the right chain/sprocket combination. just keep in mind also though, any change from the stock 3.29 your car comes with is going to require programming in the PCM.

icecats87
01-21-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm pretty sure swapping the differential is harder than on the 4T65E. IIRC the 4T65 has a removable cap on the side where the diff is, but the 4T45 doesn't so you have to remove the output shaft with all the clutches and stuff from the other side. It shouldn't be that big a deal though with the trans already out of the car. Might be a good idea anyway to inspect the condition of the clutches while you are at it, and you could upgrade them to raybestos reds or blues while you are at it. I certainly would want the 3.29 FDR if it was me. You will lose some acceleration with 3.15 gearing and this car needs all it can get. You can go even higher than 3.29 with the right chain/sprocket combination. just keep in mind also though, any change from the stock 3.29 your car comes with is going to require programming in the PCM.

Alright thanks, and i may as well upgrade since i saved $500 bucks and now just getting the transmission for free =)

Nick-G
01-21-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm pretty sure swapping the differential is harder than on the 4T65E. IIRC the 4T65 has a removable cap on the side where the diff is, but the 4T45 doesn't so you have to remove the output shaft with all the clutches and stuff from the other side.

Correct Both are sitting on the floor in my garage and the 4t45e does not have a removable diff cover.