Which is better? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

FuriousG
01-24-2011, 11:04 PM
I had new front wheel bearing/hub assemblies put on my car less than a year ago and one of them is grinding again. I don't recall which brand I used but there are only 2 listed on Autozone (where I ordered from last time.)

Does anyone have any insight into which of the hub assemblies (Timken or Duralast) are better and more likely to last? I'm pretty sure I bought Timken last time but I can't find it in my order history so I'm going to have to look through my file cabinet to see if I still have any paperwork on that purchase.

Also, does anyone know what might cause one of these to go bad so quickly? I think I only got about 9 months of use out of this one. The previous hubs were stock and lasted nearly 7 years. I currently suspect that the shop that did my hub swap may be the cause of all my trouble since, after driving it for 8 months, I found that both my tie rods were very loose with approximately a quarter inch between the tie rod and the nut. None of the threads were stripped so I can only assume they were never tightened down after the hubs were put on. I'm guessing this could have caused the extra wear on the new hubs but I'm not an expert on this sort of thing.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions from those who have experience on this topic are welcome.

slw240sx
01-25-2011, 05:03 AM
goto a diff parts store and get a national bearing.

xxbackhillxx
01-25-2011, 06:06 AM
IIRC I got a timken about 3-4 years ago for the front driver side. No problems since.

2000 GT Coupe
01-25-2011, 07:16 AM
I had new front wheel bearing/hub assemblies put on my car less than a year ago and one of them is grinding again. I don't recall which brand I used but there are only 2 listed on Autozone (where I ordered from last time.)

Does anyone have any insight into which of the hub assemblies (Timken or Duralast) are better and more likely to last? I'm pretty sure I bought Timken last time but I can't find it in my order history so I'm going to have to look through my file cabinet to see if I still have any paperwork on that purchase.

Also, does anyone know what might cause one of these to go bad so quickly? I think I only got about 9 months of use out of this one. The previous hubs were stock and lasted nearly 7 years. I currently suspect that the shop that did my hub swap may be the cause of all my trouble since, after driving it for 8 months, I found that both my tie rods were very loose with approximately a quarter inch between the tie rod and the nut. None of the threads were stripped so I can only assume they were never tightened down after the hubs were put on. I'm guessing this could have caused the extra wear on the new hubs but I'm not an expert on this sort of thing.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions from those who have experience on this topic are welcome.
First, if its the timken it should be lifetime warranty, However if the shop put it in wrong they should replace it however judging by the ****ty work you might take it to another shop and then try to get reimbursed as I dont think I would trust there workmanship.

AaronGTR
01-25-2011, 03:45 PM
I've used a few Timken parts on my grand prix with no issues so far (not sure what the wheel bearings I bought where though). I would say National is probably a little better though. And I'd probably take OEM ones over that even, but if cost is an issue get the Nationals.

FuriousG
03-05-2011, 08:48 AM
I went with the Timken hubs and just finished replacing them both myself. Now I know the torque is right on them.

One final (and possibly stupid question) though; do I need to get the car realigned now? I didn't mess with the struts or any other "alignment" parts and it drove fine so I'm guessing the answer is no. Then again, if it is a recommended practice following this type of work then I'd rather get it done just to make sure I don't cause any new problems.

AaronGTR
03-05-2011, 02:43 PM
If all you disconnected as the lower ball joint, then no I don't think you need to get it aligned. Of course, that depends on how long it's been since your last alignment too. They say you should have it checked once a year. If it's been two years or longer, then this would probably be a good time to get it done.

Malaclypse
03-05-2011, 03:26 PM
An alignment is not necessary after hub replacement. Even if you disconnected the ball joint (for whatever reason) you won't need an alignment.

As Aaron said, if its been awhile since you had an alignment done you might have it checked. I think once a year is excessive... After you hit big potholes or objects in the road is a good time to check.