Noob question [Archive] - Forum


View Full Version : Noob question

01-26-2011, 09:42 PM
So I have a 00 GASE that I bought in Canada. I have since moved back home to the states and am now wanting to sell my GA, but most people wont look any farther than my gauges when they realize the car is metric. I was wondering if there was a way for me to change the gauge cluster back to standard and have the odometer convert with it? The car has 126,850 kilometers(78,824 miles). Would I have to do something with the PCM or what? Sorry for the dumb question, but as the title says, I am a bit of a noob.

01-26-2011, 10:37 PM
People seriously won't buy it simply because its in kilometers?? lmao Americans <3

Sounds kinda sketchy but it may be possible...

01-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I guess it scares them... And I had a guy look at it and tell me I was lying to him about the mileage b/c he swore up and down that my odometer would still show miles, not kilometers... :S

01-26-2011, 10:52 PM
That is really funny sorry to hear that you got morons trying to buy your car lol

01-26-2011, 10:58 PM
lol, Only in America...... But hopefully one of these guys can tell me if what I want to do is possible or not and if so, what I need to do to change it and how much its gonna cost me...

01-27-2011, 07:55 AM
I would say since it's electronic it would most likely be something you could change in the computer since I'm sure it has both miles and kilometers recorded

01-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Doh! Try pressing and holding the trip button for 3 seconds

01-27-2011, 08:28 AM
I love how people won't buy a car just because the speedo and odometer are in KM's. lol

My 89 Tercel was from Canadidididididididuh, the speedo just made me feel faster than that POS really was. lol

01-27-2011, 04:29 PM
I think I recall there being a way to do it, because some people have also switched the 120mph speedo gauge cluster in their SE's for the 150mph one in the GT. It should be the same process to swap out a KPH cluster for a MPH one. I'm just not sure on the details. I know that if you have access to a tech2 or similar programmer then you can update the mileage to be correct on the new cluster you install. They have to be able to do that for service at the dealerships if they have to replace a bad gauge cluster. Legally they have to make it show the correct mileage.

01-27-2011, 05:30 PM
OK, sweet deal. Thanks bro! I thought for sure there had to be a way to do it, but wasn't sure, so I came to ask the subject matter experts.. Now to find a used cluster for an SE..... I can get a hold of the programmer and have someone do that for me, no prob. Anyone in here happen to have a used cluster they wanna sell me?!?!