Car Gauges not working [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car Gauges not working

cmtapanes
01-31-2011, 11:16 PM
Ok I been having this problem for a while and I was wondering if someone had this issue before.

For couple of month I been having problems with the car speedometer, rpms and all the lights indicators (the only one that comes on is the service engine soon). When I turn the car they don't work, sometimes they start working after a couple of miles on the road; sometimes they don't work at all. Sometimes by hitting the dashboard they will start working. The wear thing is that when they don't work I can't bring my windows down or flip the ac/heater on. I look for any type or fuse or relay that will control the gauges but I couldn't find anything.

You guys think is time to buy a new gauges? But that they have to do with the windows and air condition?

Ceej
02-01-2011, 07:19 AM
Something must be shorting. My wipers and battery supply randomly go on and off. Usually when I turn off the car and reset them they go back on eventually

Grandamgtblk99
02-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Maybe your BCM is going bad.

Pauljp
02-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Common problem, I have written posts all over this forum trying to figure it out.
It will happen to my car for about a month and then it will be fine for about a year.
The problem is, during this time, you won't have any power to the fuse block on the passenger side.
This originates from the fuse block under the hood.
I suspect (and only suspect) that there is corrosion from the underside of the fuse block in the engine compartment that goes to the right side fuse block in the cab, which also controls things like, power windows, HVAC, sunroof, power locks, gauges, etc...
Just as I start to troubleshoot, the thing doesn't act up anymore and there is nothing I can do until it acts up again.
Some are saying that it is caused by your ignition switch.
So, meter the wires where I mentioned and see if you can trace it back, then let the rest of us know.
:)

Syfer
10-14-2011, 02:01 PM
I have the same problem. My dashboard seems to not work at all. No speed reading, gas reading, etc. A/C, radio, windows, brake lights, all don't work. I'm thinking it's related to the ignition switch, because the dashboard and radio works only when it's switched to ACC.

AaronGTR
10-14-2011, 06:36 PM
I think he ended up finding the problem was a loose ground or something. Check all the ground points around and under the dash and make sure they are tight. There are a couple behind the fuse panels on the either end of the dash.

Big Stace
03-20-2012, 11:58 PM
I just had this problem repaired. All my gauges had gone out, my radio did not work with the key in the "on" position, and my power windows, power locks, cruise control, moonroof, power mirrors, heat/AC fan, and daytime running lights did not work, plus the service engine soon light came on. That engine light was alarming because the engine did seem to be missing all of a sudden.
The problem turned out to be the ignition switch, and the tech also mentioned something about the fuse box on the passenger side of the dash. I think the fuse box only had something to do with the diagnostic process, but I don't fully remember. The repair took care of the engine light and the missing, too. Parts, labor, and tax came to $381 out the door. Now that it's fixed, the ignition feels nice and tight. I wonder if it would have helped temporarily if I'd jiggled the key around in the ignition and prayed :-)