LIM & Valve Cover Heat Tolerance? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM & Valve Cover Heat Tolerance?

G.I.Ceo
02-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I would like to know what the valve cover's and LIM heat tolerance are. The reason is because I used High Temp paint on them and I have to bake them to cure the paint. It says to do 250, 450, and 650 degrees for a 30 minutes a piece with a 30 minute break in between. I did the the 250 on them but I don't want to push it so they crack or warp. So that's why I was wondering if anyone knows what the safe temp would be so I can finish curing them

AaronGTR
02-04-2011, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. An aluminum part is going to have higher tolerance than any paint, but it's also not going to warp since it will be heated evenly and there's no stress on it from being bolted down. I don't know why they even say you need to bake it. I've used high temp ceramic engine paint before and they never said anything about baking. They said the paint would cure when the engine got hot. Also most ovens don't even go up to 650 degrees. Bake it at 450 for 30 minutes and go ahead and put it on the engine. It will be fine.

G.I.Ceo
02-04-2011, 02:28 PM
^ That's what I figured. I just wasn't sure about it and I was nervous about doing it. I will heat them at 450 for the 30 minutes and then start installing the parts. Aaron you are always such a great help on this forum.

02GT_SkyHigh
02-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Maybe some pics of finished product?

G.I.Ceo
02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
I will post them as soon as I am done curing them. I kind of went a different way with them too. The LIM is painted aluminum and the valve cover plus UIM are painted flat black. Wasn't sure at first if I was going to like them or not but they are growing on me. I figured everyone does gloss so the flat black would be a little different.

HOYS
02-04-2011, 07:46 PM
To "bake" the valve covers, how do you remove the rubber "bushings" around the four bolts that hold it on? I know how to remove the PCV grommet, but for the life of me I cannot remove those!

AaronGTR
02-04-2011, 07:57 PM
The rubber part comes out of the valve cover with the screws. They will just pop out if you push them through from the underside. Might have to set them on the edge of a counter or something and tap 'em with a hammer.

G.I.Ceo
02-04-2011, 08:18 PM
^ Thats exactly what I did and then when to Napa and bought all new grommets for the reinstall.