Engine shutoff air noise. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine shutoff air noise.

fastmodena
02-06-2011, 09:32 PM
00 3400 with 105k.

When I turn the car off there is an air let out type sound coming from the water pump, radiator, belt area on the passenger side of engine, in the front. I can't figure out what it is. There is nothing leaking but it sounds like air is getting purged out and it lasts for 7-10 seconds until what seems like there is no more air. No coolant loss and checking the oil shows no coolant getting into there.

Any ideas? It's only after I turn off the car.

Thanks!

HOYS
02-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Do you have your A/C running when this happens?

fastmodena
02-07-2011, 07:17 AM
No it seems to do it either way. I have not ran the A/C in months cause of winter but it is coming from that general AREA. It is not a little hiss that you really have to listen for, you can hear it when you get out of the car and go up by the engine area, hood closed or not.

Ceej
02-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Are you driving a car or an airplane?

Pauljp
02-07-2011, 09:52 AM
I get this all the time, I just thought it was normal.
I get out of the car and I can hear it gurgling and hissing for a while.
I've never lost any fluid or had any problems... it's just talking to us.
BTW the AC compressor is still running in the winter if you have your defrost selected.

fastmodena
02-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Are you driving a car or an airplane?

Always a comedian. :applause:

I get this all the time, I just thought it was normal.
I get out of the car and I can hear it gurgling and hissing for a while.
I've never lost any fluid or had any problems... it's just talking to us.
BTW the AC compressor is still running in the winter if you have your defrost selected.

I have no gurgling sound just the hissing (air let out). I guess it's normal too. Good to check on here though just in case it could be something.

Funny thing is I hardly ever need the defrost. I think I have ran it once maybe this year. We use the 4x4 when the weather get's bad. The pontiac is our drive to work and back car and that's it.

Ceej
02-07-2011, 12:45 PM
The way you described it made me think of like a jet engine cooling down. sorry lol

fastmodena
02-07-2011, 02:32 PM
The way you described it made me think of like a jet engine cooling down. sorry lol

I know. I am just messing with ya :)

Actually it kind of is like a jet engine cooling down. It just does not last as long and is not LOUD like a jet. The best way I can think to describe the sound is when you slowly open a 2 liter of soda. It kind of swooshes out slowly when you barely open it and then fades away. My car does the same thing in the vicinity of the water pump, belts, radiator area.

AleroB888
02-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I know. I am just messing with ya :)

Actually it kind of is like a jet engine cooling down. It just does not last as long and is not LOUD like a jet. The best way I can think to describe the sound is when you slowly open a 2 liter of soda. It kind of swooshes out slowly when you barely open it and then fades away. My car does the same thing in the vicinity of the water pump, belts, radiator area.

My boosted car ('99 3400 Alero) does something like that, a WOOoosshh type of thing when I kill the engine. Like the thing is exhaling, but only lasts for about 3-4 seconds. Done that for the last few years, haven't found out why yet.

Any bad drivability symptoms?

2000 GT Coupe
02-07-2011, 04:12 PM
I would guess its cylinder pressure escaping. my SVX has done that a few times the grand am not so much.
I dont think it is a normal thing to me it sounds like a mis timing issue, a valve opens while the piston is compressing the air and forces it back through the intake. That is just what it sounds like though I dont know if that is what is happening.