Ram Air grill inserts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ram Air grill inserts

BJPbrandon2448
02-07-2011, 02:18 PM
hey guys i just have a quick question about the customcargrills.com grill inserts i have installed... okay well here is the first one okay... so for the ram air slots... how exactly do they go in? ive had them in for awhile but i just keep thinking to myself those arent in right? so i need some help you know how it has those silver plastic rings in there... i have both of the grill flaps so that they are in between the actual bumper and the silver rings is that right??? here are some pics it looks crooked?
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/366/4969/38414984002_large.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/366/4969/38414984003_large.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/366/4969/38414984001_large.jpg

okay... and now for my last question the rear piece that is in between the exhaust tips... how exactly does that go on they gave me some chicken wire that im supposed to wrap around that bracket of metal underneath? i also tried some black epoxy made a mess... just what is your best way or technique to install that piece? thanks for the input guys hope i make sense? :) just really need some help with this cause i would like to know if maybe im just being to picky about how they look?

BJPbrandon2448
02-07-2011, 03:14 PM

BJPbrandon2448
02-07-2011, 04:32 PM

ioseida
02-07-2011, 05:52 PM
I need to know how to install period, I have them on my room and I just haven't gotten around to install them, they send me that wire u talking about but..I have no idea on how to do any install..lol..

BJPbrandon2448
02-07-2011, 07:03 PM
okay well i can give you some basics if you go to their site and find the product you purchased there is a tab where it says instructions click on that and it will give you a brief run through... but its not precise which is what i need there is no way to mount that rear piece with what they give you...

ioseida
02-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Yeah I was just reading that since you remind me I had them grills...what kind of screws did u end up using for the lower bumper ones, because the self tapping screws aren't those for metal only..I would probably have some time to get them on this week, I will tell u how it goes and maybe I get other ideas once I am actually doing the install..

BJPbrandon2448
02-07-2011, 08:23 PM
i actually did this for the large pieces i got under the car and used a paint marker put dots on the plastic mount behind the bumper for where the screws would go to hold the grills on i them bent the metal tabs to guarantee they would sit flush against the bumper... then drilled the holes with a drill then screwed the grills in with a screwdriver... that part was easy the other grill pieces are where it gets hard...

BJPbrandon2448
02-07-2011, 09:47 PM

Ceej
02-07-2011, 11:11 PM
....... helps people respond faster

cutlsp
02-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Pictures of the rear bumper piece and underside of the rear bumper please. I might have a few ideas on how to mount the rear piece.

BJPbrandon2448
02-08-2011, 09:52 AM
haha... alright yeah i will get those rear pics later... i only do the ..... thing to keep it fresh on the new post section so more people will look at it.... its equivalent to when you guys do a "bump" :)

TruGreenGAGT
02-08-2011, 09:58 AM
pretty sure the wire is for mounting by drilling small hole and threading/twisting to hold the grill in place....could be wrong though

BJPbrandon2448
02-08-2011, 11:12 AM
yeah some people do that however... the instructions say nothing about drilling holes for that piece... if it comes down to that its not gonna get installed because im not gonna drill holes into my car! :) there is like a little bracket under there that the wire is supposed to wrap around or something ugh... idk. its like impossible to have a way to get it in there w/o it looking like $hit! well do you guys think my grills in the ram air slots look alright then?

cutlsp
02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
take a picture of the under side and back side of the rear gt bumper and the piece you are trying to install. I might have a solution for you I wish my car was a GT so I could help you both out easier but its not. Get the pictures I'm asking for and I might come up with a decent solution for your problem.

icecats87
02-08-2011, 03:59 PM
haha... alright yeah i will get those rear pics later... i only do the ..... thing to keep it fresh on the new post section so more people will look at it.... its equivalent to when you guys do a "bump" :)

usually you don't "bump" a thread a hour after you post it.

Shade2012
02-08-2011, 04:07 PM

x2 Iv seen you do it like 500 times since you joined, just stop.. if no one answers within a two days, bump it..not 1 hour..most people are working/ at school..therefor can not answer within an hour.

cutlsp
02-08-2011, 04:08 PM

I tend to agree with this bumping an hour after its posted make people think you think like :attention this. I'm still willing to help you figure out a solution though so just get the needed pictures.

icecats87
02-08-2011, 04:46 PM
x2 Iv seen you do it like 500 times since you joined, just stop.. if no one answers within a two days, bump it..not 1 hour..most people are working/ at school..therefor can not answer within an hour.
this

BJPbrandon2448
02-08-2011, 05:06 PM
honestly does it really matter? its not like i kill someone everytime it do this "....." i just gets people to respond to the post faster! even if it brings in people who say dont do it... ive seen you do it a 100 times... please quit it... no!

ioseida
02-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Alright well I finally got some time today and got them on the car, The ram air slot well I put them thru the plastic so grill goes between plastic n bumper on top n bottom then I bend it it down and in...

The back grill I actually took the clip out that is on the bumper and cut the grill so the plastic thing fitted in the grill and I re clipped the thing back on bumper with grill on and then used the wire to do the bottom I got some pics check em out and tell me what do you think

cutlsp
02-08-2011, 06:26 PM
That looks about right to me. The only way I would improve on that is make a bracket that would hold the bottom coming from where the bumper cover mounts out of a thin aluminum or a piece of steel painted flat black so its not noticeable. Too bad they didn't bother making a bracket like that for putting in the rear piece.

BJPbrandon2448
02-08-2011, 08:43 PM
yeah man it looks alright i guess thats about the only way to do the back... except i have a black car so it will be more noticeable... so idk... so for the ram air part i dont quite follow through what you mean all the way could you explain it better sorry... like your engine cover i have one but i cant get that stupid extender piece to lock in place... its a really tight fit!

cutlsp
02-08-2011, 10:13 PM
The way i was saying to mount the rear piece was for the rear bumper cover i never once referred to the ram air part. If you measure the distance to the opening from the mounting point you could make a piece out of aluminum or steel to hold the rear section in place without trouble.
As you can see in the picture how he mounted it you could get away with making a bracket to go to that point I think. On each side at least thats how I would mount that piece.

ioseida
02-08-2011, 10:25 PM
yeah man it looks alright i guess thats about the only way to do the back... except i have a black car so it will be more noticeable... so idk... so for the ram air part i dont quite follow through what you mean all the way could you explain it better sorry... like your engine cover i have one but i cant get that stupid extender piece to lock in place... its a really tight fit!

well when I grab the grill u insert it from the outside inward very careful so u wont scratch n peel ur bumper... so the top n bottom pieces go between the bumper n plastic thing on the bumper...if u insert the grill all the way in u should have like a little bit on the inside sticking out so u fold them up n bottom one down..i take more pic tmmrw..

but imagen a piece of wood right u hammer a nail thru the wood n on the other side it sticks out.. so u bend that side that sticks out so nail wont come out..

BJPbrandon2448
02-08-2011, 10:47 PM
oh i see what you mean... will you look at mine one more time do you think they are out a little further than yours or do you think they look fine the way they are? haha... my grills are amazing just the way they are! :) yeah a bracket is a awesome idea i might experiment with that... if you get it right you might not need any wire at all great thinking!

ioseida
02-08-2011, 11:46 PM
oh i see what you mean... will you look at mine one more time do you think they are out a little further than yours or do you think they look fine the way they are? haha... my grills are amazing just the way they are! :) yeah a bracket is a awesome idea i might experiment with that... if you get it right you might not need any wire at all great thinking!

Well I cant really see ur ram grill take a close up pic to see it....oh and for ur rear what u can do is go to home depot and buy an L shape shelf brakets.. you buy some small ones or big ones and you cut them to fit properly spray paint them black... get some epoxy n put some on top and stick it to the foam piece of bumper behind the grill maybe a screw also just to make sure...like the pics..look at them...not such a good designer but the idea is there...

WidbyJ
02-08-2011, 11:49 PM
FYI - Driver side front tire is mounted backwards, check the sidewalls.... from the front of the car the Vs should point down, not up.

TruGreenGAGT
02-09-2011, 12:10 AM
FYI - Driver side front tire is mounted backwards, check the sidewalls.... from the front of the car the Vs should point down, not up.

what picture you looking at???

WidbyJ
02-09-2011, 01:40 AM
what picture you looking at???

Post #20, middle pic

cutlsp
02-09-2011, 02:32 AM

Thats the passenger rear tire.... That bracket Idea could work if you epoxy it to the bracket then tie it with the wire.

WidbyJ
02-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Thats the passenger rear tire....

My bad. Thought it was looking at the front lip area...

BJPbrandon2448
02-09-2011, 09:38 AM
yeah im gonna make a bracket that is a badass idea and i can almost guarantee i can make something work with that thank guys! :) it should be safe to screw into that foam bumper piece in the rear right?

ioseida
02-09-2011, 02:28 PM
yeah im gonna make a bracket that is a badass idea and i can almost guarantee i can make something work with that thank guys! :) it should be safe to screw into that foam bumper piece in the rear right?

well keep in mind if u epoxy it to the foam..i think that will be enough..but yeah should be fine with a screw just dont screw a very long screw in there..

BJPbrandon2448
02-09-2011, 03:13 PM
alright i just think that would be the cleanest and best way to mount that piece...

ioseida
02-09-2011, 03:20 PM
alright i just think that would be the cleanest and best way to mount that piece...

Go to your local auto parts n buy epoxy but the paste one..not liquid one..it comes like play doh n u mix two pieces n apply them to the.braket n it drys perfectly with no mess