Struts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Struts

Stevo
02-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Ok, I believe its time for some new struts( starting to "crunch" when i go over bumps). My question is, A. Whats a good a good strut thats not too expsensive as this car is just a DD and nothing more. B. Do i necessarily need to look into replacing the springs also? Shes a 2005, with under 85k miles.C. Do i need to do both the front and rear? Thanks

Grreen99GT
02-08-2011, 10:03 PM
For the struts, I would recommend KYB or Monroe. I prefer KYB, but I have heard good things about Monroe products as well (especially for DDs). I would personally replace all 4 struts because that will make the ride 100% better, but really thats your choice. If only the front/back is making noise you could just do those, but you might be replacing the other set in the near future.

As for the springs, if you are not planning on lowering the car at all with different springs (Eibach, etc) your stock springs will be fine.

Stevo
02-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Ok thats what i figured for the springs, and as for the struts where would be a good place to pick those up at? local autozone/ABC or would i find a better deal online

cutlsp
02-08-2011, 10:19 PM
You might be able to get them off Amazon.com for less. Who knows what sort of warranty you would get that way or how hard it would be to warranty them if there was a problem.

whiteGT99
02-09-2011, 12:12 AM
i am getting monroe struts from summitracing.com

Grreen99GT
02-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Yea, I would check out summitracing.com. Excellent customer service, fast shipping, and pretty good prices.

cutlsp
02-09-2011, 06:03 AM
Jegs also carries parts I've never had a problem with them either. I always compare the 2 though.

Stevo
02-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Ok sweet, Jegs had them for 60 apeice which is better than what i was expecting for KYB's. Ill have to pick them up soon, dang winter keeps screwing my days to work on the car. Also have to replace some bulbs in the speedo and maybe look into replacing my rear speakers.

Stevo
02-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Ok, also i know these cars allready sit low but does anyone bottom out alot? im a heavy set guy 6 2 around 245 and i swear i bottom out 3, 4, maybe 5 times a day no matter what angle or how slow i go. That normal as i dont remember having that problem with my 04 GT

AaronGTR
02-09-2011, 04:08 PM
For struts, KYB or Monroe. Springs will not need replacing. If you are hearing a crunching noise, it is very likely to be the upper strut mount, so leave some room in your budget for replacing those as they commonly wear out was well.

Stevo
02-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah i had allready added them as true they usually need replacing an i figured the noise was more than likely coming from them. Thanks everyone, just need this winter weather to leave town then ill hop on it

cutlsp
02-09-2011, 05:10 PM
I sometimes bottom out my car too if I turn into a parking lot too fast lol
Better then being rear ended by an idiot driving a truck not paying attention....