slow cranking, and bearing noise. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : slow cranking, and bearing noise.

hass
02-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Two issues going on here, both I have a possible solution for (after a bit of digging around on here)

First is a whining noise, which gets louder as RPMs increase.
Probably has been there for... as long as I can remember, but now it's getting fairly loud... It's coming from the water pump area, definitely does not sound like the Power steering area. When I was at Advanced Auto yesterday (for the below mention problem), when I started the car there the guy was like Woah man!! your water pump is about to die!!! it's barely still running!!... Then he called over another worker that happened to be walking out of the store at the time and he agreed as well. So I bought a new one, and put it in that night. Noise is still there, no different than before. Not even the slightest bit, so I would be inclined to think that it is not the water pump. I was thinking at the time it could be the AC compressor... But I wasn't really sure at all.
Then today at work I was thinking that my AC no longer works, and I had not noticed this noise when it did work. I do recall that when I turn on the AC, the clutch does not engage (I think that's the right terminology)... As in when I push the button for AC to come on, I don't hear that usual "click" noise.
Is there any way to see if it's the AC Compressor? or am I to just replace it and find out?

Second problem is the car is very very very VERY slow at cranking over. As it barely will crank over. Sometimes it will not crank over at all... then I let it sit for 10 seconds or so, then try again.. then eventually it will start to crank very very slowly, then get the car started. First I thought it was the battery, I had a battery from my old Grand Am that I put in (new 7/07, with 3yr warr 8yr replacement from autozone... 78size). That did not help at all, so I took it to Advanced, where the guy said he couldn't get an accurate reading on the battery and I should replace the terminals as they were corroded and that could be causing the issue.
So I replaced the terminals, (the little screws that go in to the side post)... and the first time I started the car after that, it cranked over very strongly no problem. So I took it back, he hooked up the checker to the battery and said the battery is 100%. But then this morning and at work, the car is back to cranking very slowly again.
So, could this be a ground wire problem?
I poked around a bit and read there's a wire going from the starter->engine block...
Where is the main ground to the chassis located? I'm used to them being grounded to the exhaust, but when I recall doing a headgasket/LIM before I don't think I saw a ground wire attached anywhere around there.

ALSO, when I was at Advanced, the car would not crank over... then when it finally did it cranked for quite a while... and the worker noticed some smoke coming up from underneath the engine... So he told me to stop and he would crank the car so I can see it. It was dark out so I couldn't really tell exactly where it was coming from... but it was coming from Somewhere around the area of the AC compressor, possibly a little to the right (towards the battery side of the car) of the AC. As soon as the car was started the smoke would stop. It would only smoke if the car cranked over for more than 5-10 seconds or so.
The exhaust seems fine, so I don't think it's exhaust leaking up in there... and the smoke smelled very... electrical. (Like the way an electrical fire smells)

Any thoughts before I start tearing stuff apart? Sorry for the long essay.
I just like to be descriptive :\

SuburbGT
02-08-2011, 10:52 PM
i didn't read it all, but all you need to know is, never listen to the guys at advance or autozone...they don't know anything at all really

Stevo
02-08-2011, 11:07 PM
^ x2. All they are good for is looking up parts, and theyr good at giving you the wrong one most of the time. As for the slow crank, are they any lights on?

cutlsp
02-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Slow cranking and not cranking at all makes me thing your starter is having problems. You replaced just the terminals? I would have replaced the battery cables. The a/c compressor going bad sounds like a ton of rocks in a cement mixer and considering its winter time your a/c compressor wouldn't even be on. I would say its your power steering pump is whining. Which is what happened to my older brother's car before his power steering rack went bad.

hass
02-09-2011, 12:14 AM
^ x2. All they are good for is looking up parts, and theyr good at giving you the wrong one most of the time. As for the slow crank, are they any lights on?
Yeah, lights come on fine, all dash lights, and the time on the clock keeps the correct time.

Slow cranking and not cranking at all makes me thing your starter is having problems. You replaced just the terminals? I would have replaced the battery cables. The a/c compressor going bad sounds like a ton of rocks in a cement mixer and considering its winter time your a/c compressor wouldn't even be on. I would say its your power steering pump is whining. Which is what happened to my older brother's car before his power steering rack went bad.

I replaced the screw things that connect to the battery, I haven't even looked at the starter yet. I was told the starter would not be the culprit as long as it is able to turn over. (although I have heard of warn starter motors and what not, so I was doubting them on this)

The whining kind of sounds like a CAI, but much, much, louder.
However I thought the AC compressor would whine when it is not on, and then stop when it is turned on with clutch engaged? Although my clutch doesn't engage anyway... so it wouldn't make a difference.
I found info when I was searching after I posted this, it was linked to another forum from here about the Compressor pulley getting too tight against the compressor, and you use a puller to back off the pullet .020" and it will stop the whining.

Stevo
02-09-2011, 09:21 AM
My 04 that i had did the same thing(slow crank wise) til i replaced the starter and deffinetly hop on those battery cables as i replaced mine about the same time as the factory battery went dead but i did my cables just to have new ones on there dont really know which fixed the slow crank problem but im assuming it was the starter.