Couple questions? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions?

blondiez24gt
02-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Ok first, I'm needing new struts all around. I looked around for the best deal on struts, I found Gabriel Ultras for $225, and KYB GR-2's for $230. I was wondering which struts you guys thought was a better strut, and deal?
Next I had a question about the brackets that you mount the caliper on around the rotor. Where the caliper bolts onto the bracket theres like slides with rubber around them that move in and out. All of mine seem to slide pretty freely, except for the front passenger side. It is liked seized up completely. Is there a way you can pull the rubber back, and put some kind of anti-seize or something on it to break it loose and get it sliding smoothly again? Any help would be great thanks

Bratthauer
02-10-2011, 07:11 PM
vise grips and a vise would pry be your best bet. could also try getting a pick between the pin nd boot and spray a lil' oil into it to help free it. i had that happen to me once to but i just went to the juck yard nd bought a different bracket nd pins for cheap.

however if the pins can slide ya can just pull them all the way out. the boot will stay attached to the caliper bracket.

just dont put to much grease or anti seize on the pin otherwise you'll hafta wipe some off if ya cant get it in the bracket all the way. hopefully some one else will be able to help ya if this didnt

AaronGTR
02-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Let me get this straight... is the caliper not sliding on the pins, or are the pins not coming out of the bracket?

They are actually called caliper slider bolts and they have threads just around the top area that goes through caliper bracket. Sometimes they get frozen in the bracket. You could try some penetrating oil (PB blaster etc), an air impact always helps, or you can try heating the bracket with a propane torch (might damage the rubber boot though). Once you can get them out, if they aren't rusted or pitted you should be able to just clean them up with a wire wheel and some brake cleaner, then coat them liberally with some silicone brake lube.

blondiez24gt
02-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Its the part with the rubber boot on the bracket that is seized up. Does that come out of the bracket? Here is a pic I found of what it is. This isn't mine, but its what I'm talking about.

cutlsp
02-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Yes that part does come out and I Always pull them out and clean and lube them when i do a brake job on any car..... On the Struts I think the KYB GR-2's are the better strut.

blondiez24gt
02-11-2011, 01:47 PM
How do you get that piece out of the bracket? I can't get any of them out. The ones that are loose all slide around freely, but will not pop out?

unchained_01
02-11-2011, 05:46 PM
go on auto zone website and search for caliper bolt kits for your car and you will see what you are dealing with its quite easy and you may learn something in the process