some more problems :( [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : some more problems :(

pontiacgt05
02-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I was really hoping i wasnt going to have to post another question like this.. but I gotta do it..

I got three questions.

1. When i turn my car on in the morning, and sometimes after school, when i start accelerating theres this cranking type whining noise. Its almost like fingers down a chalkboard.. and it gets progressivly faster, then just stops. It sounds to me like its coming from a wheel.. but I have no idea.

2. When I barely give the car any gas, and it shifts, the engine seems to get real heavy.. Like it jerks just a little bit and the rpms drop uner 1k for a little bit. It also does this if i take a turn quick giving it some gas.

3. This has happened since i had the car so i havnt thought much about it, but thought id ask. When i get up to speed to shift into third, then fourth, it shifts into third just fine and smooth, but then quickly shifts to fourth.. or so you would think.. It actually accelerates a little bit, then shifts into fourth. Ive become more and more confused over this recently. I would ask if my car really had 5 gears.. but the shift between 3rd and "3rd and a half" are reallly really quick, so its weird..

I would really appreciate any help on any of these questions. And I appologize for asking so many, but Im startin to get paranoid about it.

Thanks to everyone in advanced.

SC/T02
02-11-2011, 09:08 PM
1 Sounds like the Serp belt is slipping. That whine could be your alternator too.

2 Not sure about the bog and all

3 Sounds like it might be slipping from 3rd to 4th but I am not sure without riding in it.

All could be related to your belt slipping or tensioner being too loose. Your Alternator going bad and causing that noise. Just a side thought.

Good luck though.

pontiacgt05
02-11-2011, 09:10 PM
for number 3. You would think that its slipping from third to fourth.. but its like its shifts, then decides it wants to be at a different rpm.. then rides a little bit, then shifts to fourth. I guess its hard to explain without you riding in it. Best way I could descrbe it is like i have 5 gears

Stevo
02-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Has your engine had any recent tuneups? Could be irrevalent as i have a 4 cyl but do the V6 make use of a PCV or PVC valve (whichever its is)? My sisters Dodge stratus had that same issue (issue 2)and it turned out that the valve had been clogged after 4 years or carbon buildup. Maybe you should try seafoming to try to clean your engine out

pontiacgt05
02-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Yea thats a good idea. Ill try that. thanks

WidbyJ
02-12-2011, 02:11 AM
1 - Belt drive
2 - Clean the MAF sensor
3 - Typical of an auto trans that needs to be serviced

OKTHXGBY

KhellendrosxS
02-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Youre probably overdue for a replacement fuel filter as well.

GRAND-AM-SE
02-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Youre probably overdue for a replacement fuel filter as well.

Use lucas trans oil fix, i used it and its great

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//N2129/large/7120000_lco_10009_pri_larg.jpg

will stop ur car from shifting hard

AaronGTR
02-12-2011, 11:20 AM
^Do NOT add anything to your transmission fluid, or oil for that matter. They are just gimmicks and do not solve the underlying problem, and may cause more problems down the road. Same with adding stop-leak additives to cooling systems. Just don't do it.

The car's systems are designed to work properly without these things in them, and adding extra stuff to it is not going to help.
Seriously, with the millions of dollars of funding for R&D available to the OEm manufacturers... if this stuff really worked then why wouldn't they just add it to the systems at the factory, or use it to fix problems at the dealership instead of doing repairs? Think about it...

KhellendrosxS
02-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Lucas products = snake oil

GRAND-AM-SE
02-12-2011, 01:05 PM
^Do NOT add anything to your transmission fluid, or oil for that matter. They are just gimmicks and do not solve the underlying problem, and may cause more problems down the road. Same with adding stop-leak additives to cooling systems. Just don't do it.

The car's systems are designed to work properly without these things in them, and adding extra stuff to it is not going to help.
Seriously, with the millions of dollars of funding for R&D available to the OEm manufacturers... if this stuff really worked then why wouldn't they just add it to the systems at the factory, or use it to fix problems at the dealership instead of doing repairs? Think about it...

lol k

your missing the whole point of the product.

no Sh1t if ur transmission i ageing it wont function properly with out phyiscal repair, but that lucus oil will help lub things inside that worn

thats why all trans shop i went to said lucus oil was good stuff, and for only 12 extra dollars who cares

[ChaosweaveR]
02-12-2011, 01:09 PM
If you took proper care of the car in the first place, you wouldn't need those "additives". ;)

Stevo
02-12-2011, 02:40 PM
I would agree with aaron lol when it comes to tranny additives and so on, as he is pretty experienced with these cars and well he probably either solves or helps solves most problems members have on these forums.

AaronGTR
02-12-2011, 04:58 PM
lol k

your missing the whole point of the product.

no Sh1t if ur transmission i ageing it wont function properly with out phyiscal repair, but that lucus oil will help lub things inside that worn

thats why all trans shop i went to said lucus oil was good stuff, and for only 12 extra dollars who cares

Yeah, ok.... if the clutches inside the trans are worn (which is usually what goes), or if the seals are leaking, no amount of "lubing" is going to help them. :rolleyes:

Red_207
02-12-2011, 10:23 PM
i love when people try to argue with aaron he is like god when it comes to grandams

drakesrevenge
02-12-2011, 11:57 PM
yeah, grand am se is going to some dumbass tranny shops!
I've NEVER heard a transmission shop endorse any additives, UNLESS they were making a commission from a sale.

AaronGTR
02-13-2011, 08:02 AM
i love when people try to argue with aaron he is like god when it comes to grandams

Well I wouldn't say that, but this is just common sense. Anyone who knows anything about cars in general knows those things don't work.

[ChaosweaveR]
02-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Well I wouldn't say that, but this is just common sense. Anyone who knows anything about cars in general knows those things don't work.

I dunno, Aaron. Looks like a good user title for ya. lol

But I wanna say 95% of the time those additives will not work. However, my pop's old 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, the trans was slipping into 2nd and 3rd gear, and I bought some of the Lucas trans stuff (this was five years ago, mind you) and the slip into second wasn't noticeable anymore, and 3rd smoothed out some. Kept the car for another year and a half and turned it in for his DeVille DHS. I have no idea if the formula has changed drastically since then. But would I do it again? Probably not. Why did it help? Got me on that, but it kept the POS going until we got rid of it.

pontiacgt05
02-13-2011, 07:29 PM
1 - Belt drive
2 - Clean the MAF sensor
3 - Typical of an auto trans that needs to be serviced

Okay so how do i go about cleaning the maf? ahd how does one service an auto trans?

Red_207
02-13-2011, 08:25 PM
get crc mass air flow cleaner or something of that nature

madmike77
02-16-2011, 05:08 PM
while your at it clean or replace the iac valve to replace it cost 30 bucks and it is simple to do 2 screws and it is located on the side of the TB WORKED FOR MINE I HAD HARD SHIFTS , and jerking at about 2500-3500 rpm's

pontiacgt05
02-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Im gunna try the maf cleaner and the iac valve first.

Ill probly also want to seafoam it. Im not exactly sure how to do that though. I read some stuff about it and I know I need to disconnect some stuff, but im not exactly sure what.

WidbyJ
02-19-2011, 02:33 AM
I'd suggest NOT using Seafoam unless you are absolutely SURE you know how to do it properly. Directions for these cars should be here someplace, search if you must...

pontiacgt05
02-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Yea ive searched and I know the best way to do it is feed it though the mian vacuum line. Not exatlyyy sure where that is though. Do 1/3 of the can in there? then 1/3 in crankcase?and 1/3 in the gas tank? is that right?

KhellendrosxS
02-19-2011, 12:50 PM
If you do put it in the crankcase youll need to do an oil change shortly after.

pontiacgt05
02-20-2011, 12:01 AM
Yea and I should change my spark plugs and wires too correct?

AaronGTR
02-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Yea and I should change my spark plugs and wires too correct?

Not necessarily. If they don't have that many miles on them, there is no reason to replace them just because you add some seafoam. Only replace them if there is something wrong with them.

Also, adding them to the fuel and intake is ok since it will help clear out carbon deposits, but personally I am not a fan of adding ANYTHING to the oil. If the car has had regular oil changes with decent oil then there shouldn't be any build up and nothing to clean out. If you do put it in the oil, don't leave it in there long. Maybe run it for a week then change the oil. Besides, most quality oils have an additives package that does it's own cleaning. ;)

pontiacgt05
02-20-2011, 06:25 PM
okay I probly wont put it in the oil then. As far as I know the spark plugs have never been changed, and recntly the car hasnt been starting great. Thanks for the help

Ceej
02-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Uh oh I hope you dont have the problem I had. Even with brand new plugs and wires mine would only start correctly from a cold start. Any other time is was a weak, terrible sounding start up.

AaronGTR
02-21-2011, 10:05 AM
okay I probly wont put it in the oil then. As far as I know the spark plugs have never been changed, and recntly the car hasnt been starting great. Thanks for the help

The owners manual recommends replacing the plugs/wires at 100k miles. How many miles are on your car? I've seen plugs last a long time in an engine that has been maintained and running properly (IE not burning oil or anything). But the center electrode does burn down over time and the gap can increase. If you have over 60k miles on the car, it wouldn't hurt to take them out and at least check them. If they look in good shape, just check the gap and re-gap them if necessary. Reinstall and see how they run. :thumbs:

pontiacgt05
02-21-2011, 10:38 PM
ill check a few of them before I go and buy new plugs, but the car has about 97k miles so Its getting to that time to replace them anyway. Also will the seafoam clean the fuel injectors? I feel like they need to be cleaned as well.

pontiacgt05
02-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Uh oh I hope you dont have the problem I had. Even with brand new plugs and wires mine would only start correctly from a cold start. Any other time is was a weak, terrible sounding start up.

Has that been a bad problem with you? mine normally starts better cold. For instance if I turn the car off and leave it for like 20 minutes, when i start it again sometimes it starts, then sounds like it bogs, then evens out again.. if i tun it off and start it again it normally starts fine though.

Should I mention when it does this boggy start, if i drive it after without starting again it drives funny. It hesitates and acceleration is choppy.

pontiacgt05
02-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Okay so I went out and got the maf cleaner and decided while im at it to clean my filter. The maf wasnt dirty at all, but the filter was filthy. Anyway after finishing i took a drive around the block and it actually seemed to be a little better. Acceleration wasnt jumpy, and when i shifted to third it didnt slip right away. Ill keep trying some of the other ideas and updating.

WidbyJ
02-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Glad to hear the filter got the gunk before the sensor and/or engine. It should be breathing better now... Time to clean/change the IAC.

pontiacgt05
02-28-2011, 10:47 AM
yea thats the next thing im doing, alog with spark plugs and wires. Wont be able to do it till the weekend though

pontiacgt05
03-12-2011, 05:51 PM
okay so i went out and bought the iac valve. thinking it would be easy enough, I went out and started taking out the one in there.. and i have no clue how to replace it. or even if i have the right thing. Help?

[ChaosweaveR]
03-12-2011, 05:58 PM
okay so i went out and bought the iac valve. thinking it would be easy enough, I went out and started taking out the one in there.. and i have no clue how to replace it. or even if i have the right thing. Help?

Pics would be very handy.

IIRC, the IACV is right after the throttle body, as is the TPS sensor.

Nick-G
03-12-2011, 06:25 PM

You should have two sensors on one side of the TB the top one is the IAC valve and the lower is the TPS. If you look inside the TB opening you should see a small hole before the throttle plate that will go directly to the IAC.

pontiacgt05
03-12-2011, 06:51 PM
okay after some searching i got the old one out. its definately nasty. the spring on the old one, and the spring on the new one are at different lengths, should i do someting about this?

pontiacgt05
03-16-2011, 01:53 PM
replaced the iac valve everything went good. car starts a little better now. I dont see any difference when drving it though. still does the werid shifting. Im going to record a video of it doing it so maybe you guys can diagnose it a little better

pontiacgt05
03-16-2011, 03:54 PM
heres a video. I dont know how well you guys will be able to tell, but when it shifts to third. youll see it shift, then drop again. Keep in mind that im keeping steady acceleration the whole time. my foot does not move at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsoLgs9YEA0

KhellendrosxS
03-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Sounds and looks pretty normal to me. It looks like its shifting into OD right after it goes into third gear. Check that your MAF is plugged in, clean and no wires coming out of the connector are unplugged.

pontiacgt05
03-16-2011, 07:08 PM
everything is definately plugged in. ill make sure that non of the wires are loose, but wouldnt the engine light come on if they were?

pontiacgt05
03-20-2011, 08:06 PM
everything is in fine shape as far as i can tell. no stripped wires, or lose wires anywhere

pontiacgt05
03-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Okay so i changed my spark plugs and wires. and it now starts fine everytime. but now there is a terrible ticking noise coming from somewhere. I think its the engine bay because it only does it when im accelerating. but it doesnt do it when i just rev the engine. I dont understand what could have happened between changing my spark plugs.

rizer
03-27-2011, 02:10 AM
Okay so i changed my spark plugs and wires. and it now starts fine everytime. but now there is a terrible ticking noise coming from somewhere. I think its the engine bay because it only does it when im accelerating. but it doesnt do it when i just rev the engine. I dont understand what could have happened between changing my spark plugs.

Were the plugs gapped properly?

pontiacgt05
03-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Well i bought the oem ac delco ones. so i guess they would be. didnt think i would have to regap them..

AaronGTR
03-27-2011, 08:44 AM
well, at least it starts now... making some progress. lol

Spark plugs and wires wouldn't cause any kind of ticking noise that you would hear though. It's got to be related to something else. Maybe the belt tensioner or and idler pulley?

pontiacgt05
03-27-2011, 09:33 AM
well from what i can tell its coming from the right side of the engine bay, by the throttle body. I dont really hear it when i just driving, but if i get a stop light next to a car, or i drive next to a curb or something it echoes really bad. Is it possible that it could be in the wheel/ suspension?

AaronGTR
03-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Definitely possible. Do you only hear it when the car is moving, or do you hear it when it is parked and the engine is running?

pontiacgt05
03-27-2011, 05:31 PM
just gave it a really good listen. definately not the suspension. Its coming from the back of the engine bay, sounds like from where spark plugs for cylinder 1,3, and 5 are. I remember 3 being weird putting in. It tightened alot faster then all of the other plugs. Ill try taking it out and putting it back in and see if that does anything.

pontiacgt05
03-27-2011, 06:56 PM
okay i checked it and re checked it, and the plug would not go in right... I reached my finger down there to check if it threaded all the way in.. and it definately didnt. there is a pretty large gap between the blot part of the plug and the head. I dont want to force it because i dont want to strip the thread, but i cant get it to go in straight. How bad is it to run like this?

[ChaosweaveR]
03-27-2011, 11:12 PM
heres a video. I dont know how well you guys will be able to tell, but when it shifts to third. youll see it shift, then drop again. Keep in mind that im keeping steady acceleration the whole time. my foot does not move at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsoLgs9YEA0

That's completely normal. Mine does the same exact thing, so does every other 4T45E in a GAGT. lol

pontiacgt05
03-28-2011, 09:30 AM
why? thats such a huge loss in power.. is it supposed to do that? or it just happens?

AaronGTR
03-28-2011, 05:52 PM
okay i checked it and re checked it, and the plug would not go in right... I reached my finger down there to check if it threaded all the way in.. and it definately didnt. there is a pretty large gap between the blot part of the plug and the head. I dont want to force it because i dont want to strip the thread, but i cant get it to go in straight. How bad is it to run like this?

You need to get some light back there and try and see the plug if you can. Make sure if it's really screwed in all the way or not. They should thread in pretty easily. If you take out the plug you should be able to tell easily if the threads are messed up or not too. If it wasn't threaded in properly, that could definitely make a noise.

[ChaosweaveR]
03-28-2011, 06:54 PM
That reminds me, Aaron, is it common for spark plugs to back out of the threads in the block? Because when cylinder #3 floated a valve on my GA last year, the plug wasn't tight, but the others were fine.

pontiacgt05
03-28-2011, 07:01 PM
You need to get some light back there and try and see the plug if you can. Make sure if it's really screwed in all the way or not. They should thread in pretty easily. If you take out the plug you should be able to tell easily if the threads are messed up or not too. If it wasn't threaded in properly, that could definitely make a noise.

I got a mirror and light back there to really see it good, but by the time i get the plug lined up with the hole i cant tell how straight it is threading. It is good and tight, and isnt going anywhere. I looked at the threads and there is no damage to them, but it definately is not in all the way. theres a good 7 to 8 millimeters till its in all the way, maybe even more. could this also cause it not to fire, and only run 5 cylinders, or would i definately notice that?