How to ID factory Performance/Ram Air Hood? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How to ID factory Performance/Ram Air Hood?

coolblusapphire
02-18-2011, 05:23 PM
I was hoping someone can tell me how to ID a factory ram air hood from a reproduction? Is the GM part # on the hood, and if so, where would it be located? Is there any other way to authenticate the real thing? Thanks!

TruGreenGAGT
02-18-2011, 11:25 PM
the price GM hood cost way more than repo

BattousaiX33
02-19-2011, 05:27 AM
not really sure if there is a way to id it. i do know that the factory ramair hoods are heavier than the after market ones. my friend has a aftermarket one and his hood is a lot lighter than mine.

dlineownzu4life
02-19-2011, 07:53 AM
The underside of them all look different, the GM one has two pretty distinct X's of supports and no way of routing air over the air box.

HOYS
02-19-2011, 02:30 PM
There are some aftermarket hoods that aren't designed for more style / "performance" (with the cutout over the airbox)

They are usually made of a different material than fiberglass if they are just a standard replacement that a body shop would use for an insurance repair, They are made of "SMC" plastic. Article: http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/020305.html

Another good way to tell if they are GM or not is if there are holes to cover up the nostrils. I don't think the aftermarket hoods have those holes drilled.

SC/T02
02-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Found an old picture of mine with the car. You will see it has the factory padding. In '02 and I believe '03 the back plate behind the ram air had a blocker plate that could be removed with an allen wrench. I think '04-'05 cars had it epoxy that kept it closed. The underside structure of the factory hood does make an X shape. There is no duct work or anything leading to the air box. If its on a car that is '99-early '02 then it is not standard in any way. Most likely aftermarket. Just some food for though. Should have the padding under the hood. Though I removed mine.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1377/4461/3442230054_large.jpg

coolblusapphire
02-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Found an old picture of mine with the car. You will see it has the factory padding. In '02 and I believe '03 the back plate behind the ram air had a blocker plate that could be removed with an allen wrench. I think '04-'05 cars had it epoxy that kept it closed. The underside structure of the factory hood does make an X shape. There is no duct work or anything leading to the air box. If its on a car that is '99-early '02 then it is not standard in any way. Most likely aftermarket. Just some food for though. Should have the padding under the hood. Though I removed mine.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1377/4461/3442230054_large.jpg

Unfortunately, it is not on a car. One reason I don't know if it is real. It appears to be "white" underneath the paint (through a scratch) - though don't know if that is the primer.

The holes for the hood mounts are metal sleeved. It does have reenforced ribbing underneath, like a factory style hood.

Good point about the padding. It doesn't have any, but I don't know if it was stripped off and repainted, though.

When you are talking about "plate", are you talking about the scoop opennings? I didn't there there were block offs since the scoops inserts were bolt ons? Or is that your point, the scoop inserts on the aftermarket hoods were molded into the hood? Thanks!