Axle nut torque [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Axle nut torque

FuriousG
02-20-2011, 10:00 AM
What should the torque be for the axle nut? I'm replacing my front wheel hubs again since I think the shop that did them may not have done a good job last year. I've searched the forums but I haven't found a solid answer. I'm leaning toward 70 ft/lbs from what I've read but I'd like some consensus before I do the work.

howley71489
02-20-2011, 01:01 PM
the three bolts that hold the wheelbearing on are torqued to 70 ft/lbs...
the stock axel nut is to be torqued at 284 ft/lbs
aftermarket axel nut is usually torqued to 173 ft/lbs

AaronGTR
02-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Yes, the original factory axle nut had a very high torque requirement (well over 200). GM started using a different axle nut on later cars and for replacement hubs that was much lower (170ish sounds right iirc) and was supposed to help the hubs last longer.

FuriousG
02-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Well, I bought some Timken hubs so I'll go with the aftermarket amount. I wonder if the reason one went bad so quickly was due to the shop using the stock torque on the set I had installed last year...

Thanks for the very clear answer!

FuriousG
02-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Well, now I feel like an idiot. I opened the box and the instructions clearly state the specs you just posted for the axle nut. Guess I should try the old fashioned methods first next time. Oh well, maybe this thread will help someone else in the future. Thanks again.