removing transmission [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : removing transmission

turdstangjunk69
02-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Quick question for those who removed their transmissions. What's the best way to get it out?cause I am looking at it and does not look like its gonna come out very easily.

XtremeGaGt00
02-21-2011, 06:33 PM
you gotta drop the cradle.

icecats87
02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
yep dropping the cradle is the way spent 3 maybe 4 hours today in calss im changing transmissions on mine right now, going pretty smoothly only thing is cant find out where to disconnect the fuel lines my teachers looking it up, hope to have it out Wednesday during class

AaronGTR
02-21-2011, 07:35 PM
You can take it out the top too if you want to remove the engine as well.

turdstangjunk69
02-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Yeah holy crap. Removing the sub frame sucked. I think I would have been better off pulling whole motor. Not a very fun job. Plus all the bolts are super tight for some reason. Ugh not nice.

XtremeGaGt00
02-21-2011, 08:04 PM
yep dropping the cradle is the way spent 3 maybe 4 hours today in calss im changing transmissions on mine right now, going pretty smoothly only thing is cant find out where to disconnect the fuel lines my teachers looking it up, hope to have it out Wednesday during class

no need to disconnect your fuel lines...

icecats87
02-21-2011, 08:15 PM
no need to disconnect your fuel lines...

I thought they ran from the fuel rail and all the way back to your gas tank under the car, and when you lift the body up they wont stay with the engine they will go up with car

XtremeGaGt00
02-21-2011, 08:37 PM
I thought they ran from the fuel rail and all the way back to your gas tank under the car, and when you lift the body up they wont stay with the engine they will go up with car

you plan on lifting the body off? if youve got a lift and the proper jack id just drop the cradle. keep the engine in the car, should even havta mess with the fuel lines at all.

icecats87
02-21-2011, 08:53 PM
you plan on lifting the body off? if youve got a lift and the proper jack id just drop the cradle. keep the engine in the car, should even havta mess with the fuel lines at all.

Im not sure my teacher just said to get all the wiring disconnected the compressor, downpipe, and just hoses and then put the frame on jack stands un bolt it use the lift to lift car up and engine and tranny should be on the jackstands and frame, does this sound correct?

XtremeGaGt00
02-21-2011, 09:05 PM
thats a method you can do it, but i think your just removing far more then you need to..im guessing your class does not have the proper engine supports to pull a cradle?

icecats87
02-21-2011, 09:11 PM
thats a method you can do it, but i think your just removing far more then you need to..im guessing your class does not have the proper engine supports to pull a cradle?

im not sure it might but ive been just pulling everything my professors says so i dont know its almost out so i guess what im doing is working just more time consuming

turdstangjunk69
02-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Anyone know about the pull type connectors that go to the heater core hoses? I broke one of them. Are they necessary or can I just connect it straight to the pipe to the hose without that connector thing?

AleroB888
02-21-2011, 09:25 PM
im not sure it might but ive been just pulling everything my professors says so i dont know its almost out so i guess what im doing is working just more time consuming

This is one of those jobs that the Haynes manual is pretty useful....

Supporting the engine from the top side is tricky: if the support takes up too much room above the engine, and you leave the hood on, make sure there is enough clearance to the ceiling when you lift the car.

If I had to do that job ever again, I would pull the engine / tranny out the top.

Particularly difficult was replacing the steering wheel linkages into the properly aligned location while reinstalling the subframe (cradle).

turdstangjunk69
02-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Anyone know about the heater core hose clip things?

XtremeGaGt00
02-22-2011, 05:58 PM
you can just clamp them with worm clamps

turdstangjunk69
02-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Ok cool thanks