car dies in rain [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car dies in rain

wrath1234
02-25-2011, 10:25 AM
hi i have a 04 gt and about 6-8 months ago i put a cai on my car. originally it ran great but lately ( past 3 months ) it seems every time it rains i lose power to the engine. the battery light come on in the cab and the engine dies. all the electronic and power still work just engine doesnt. it seems like 99.9 % of the time its when its rains or damp out. ive had the battery and alternator checked and all is well. i know when its about to die becuase the revs get really low and i have to keep it above 1000 rpms or she dies. has any ever had this same problem with water getting into the cai. do they make a cover for them or do i just need a new filter.. anything will help at this point thanks

WidbyJ
02-25-2011, 10:41 AM
I'd be looking closely at all the ground wires (and wiring in general) for a loose or corroded connection. It sounds like water may be shorting out something.

If water is truly getting into your CAI you may be headed towards a disaster. Actually sucking in water can cause total engine failure/seizing. A simple check of the inside of your air pipes can tell if this is the issue... K&N does make outer covers for cone shaped intake filters but they are really only meant to protect during transport and race prep. Another option would be to use a bypass valve which allows the engine to draw air from under the hood if the intake sucks water, http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm Personally I would just remove the tubing for now and put the filter in the engine compartment. The engine will warm faster and run just as good, the air is probably already cool enough this time of year.

AaronGTR
02-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Yeah, this is definitely NOT a problem with water getting in the CAI. This is something else. If enough water got in the CAI to cause the engine to not run right, you wouldn't be able to keep it running at all. It would just lock up and die.

You more than likely have some other kind of electrical issue. As mentioned I would check all your ground points and battery connections for corrosion and good contact. Also I would double check the alternator and battery. I've taken them out and taken them to auto parts stores before to be tested, and they said they were good, and they were actually bad. The testers they use there are not able to place a load on the alternator or battery the same way that it does in the car. The one time my battery light on the dash came on, it ended up being the voltage regulator on the alternator that was bad.

Also might want to check your ignition coils and module and spark plug wires. My car died on me twice in the rain and wouldn't restart, and it ended up being because water got under the coils with the MSD coil pack adapters I was using and shorted them out and fried two of my coils.

wrath1234
02-26-2011, 02:53 PM
thanks for the help . im pretty much a rook when it comes to electrical stuff but hopefully ill have this figured out this weekend.

xxbackhillxx
02-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Also might want to check your ignition coils and module and spark plug wires. My car died on me twice in the rain and wouldn't restart, and it ended up being because water got under the coils with the MSD coil pack adapters I was using and shorted them out and fried two of my coils.

^This. Replace the spark plug wires (and spark plugs while you're already there) and be sure to use dielectric grease.