Got some issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Got some issues

PhantomLover007
02-25-2011, 12:26 PM
OK. The GA is giving me a few problems. I'm throwing a 0138 code and I know this is for the TPS sensor. When I'm driving and I slow up to either make a stop or a turn, the car will shut off when I let off the gas. It doesn't do it all the time, but often enough. RPMs are usually around 500 when it does it.

When I give it a decent amount of gas, it'll hit RPMs of up to 4500 before it shifts from 1st to 2nd and the shift is pretty hard. From 2nd to 3rd is a little bit rough to but I don't hit high RPMs.

I'm getting a squealing noise when I start the car and at other times. I think it's from the belt tensioner.

I also see the very bottom pulley (I think it's attached to the crank case cover) and it wobbles slightly.

I've taken vids of the shifting and the engine w/ the squealing and I hope I got shots of the pulley wobbling and I will post them when I get a chance.

I do notice that when I give the car gas under the hood, the SC stays put but the engine shifts. I have a feeling this may be a culprit for the belt tensioner and maybe the crank case pulley acring funny. IDK.

AaronGTR
02-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Refresh my memory... what size pulley is on your SC? And do you know what length your belt is? Is it the stock one that comes with the kit?

It normally comes with a 103.7" belt, and you can only use that with down to a 2.5" pulley (and that's cutting it close). Any smaller and you need to go to a 103" belt. I just recently discovered this problem on mine and had to fix it. I also had a bad squealing noise and that ended up being the bearings going bad in my alternator.

PhantomLover007
02-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Refresh my memory... what size pulley is on your SC? And do you know what length your belt is? Is it the stock one that comes with the kit?

It normally comes with a 103.7" belt, and you can only use that with down to a 2.5" pulley (and that's cutting it close). Any smaller and you need to go to a 103" belt. I just recently discovered this problem on mine and had to fix it. I also had a bad squealing noise and that ended up being the bearings going bad in my alternator.

I tried getting some measurements w/ a measuring tape and I think it's a 2.5". The lip was measuring close to 2.75". IDK what the size of the belt is. I'll have to ask Michael then.

As for the wobble and the shifting here's some vids

Wobble of the crank case pulley IIAC-
http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp323/PhantomLover007/th_pulleywobble.jpg (http://s424.photobucket.com/albums/pp323/PhantomLover007/?action=view&current=pulleywobble.mp4)

Shifting/high RPM's
http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp323/PhantomLover007/th_shift2.jpg (http://s424.photobucket.com/albums/pp323/PhantomLover007/?action=view&current=shift2.mp4)

When it finally shifted, you may have been able to hear the belt squeal a a little. The engine light is for the TPS

SilverGAGT2002
02-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Send the entire SC kit to me and ill figure out your problem ;)

PhantomLover007
02-27-2011, 01:28 AM
Here's the vid of the engine squealing and the stuttering

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp323/PhantomLover007/th_enginesquealandstutter.jpg (http://s424.photobucket.com/albums/pp323/PhantomLover007/?action=view&current=enginesquealandstutter.mp4)

AaronGTR
02-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Hard to tell much with that vidoe/sound quality. The crank pulley video was very short. I've always noticed a little bit of odd movement in the crank pulleys and attributed it to the rubber damper and the fact that it's absorbing the crank pulses. Hard to see if yours is moving back and forth more than normal.

If I had to hazard a guess on the other stuff... the shifting doesn't look abnormal, but it depends on what throttle position you were at and what your programming is. Since I wasn't driving the car and don't have any scan data, I can't tell much. Most performance tuned PCM's though will hold onto a gear longer at a lower throttle %, so that you can accelerate faster in everyday driving without having to floor it all the time to keep it from upshifting. That's basically what a "sport" tune is. I'd have to grab my laptop and check your bin file to see what your shifting tables are set at. If you have a SES light on though with a TPS code, that could also be affecting your shifting. ;)

The squeal, it only seems to be doing it at higher rpm (ie when you rev it up), is that right? And you said it stumbles a bit... does it only do that after you rev it up? Like when the rpms drop after revving, they drop down further than they should, then the IAC opens up and makes the rpm surge back up for a sec to keep the engine running? Mine does that too. Has ever since I added the cam, injectors, deleted the EGR etc. I have no idea why but it must have something to do with the programming or possibly the change in vacuum from the cam. I've never been able to figure it out. The squealing though, that sounds like possibly a bearing going bad in something. Try taking the belt off and check everything for weird noises. Sqeaks, clicks, rattles, any abnormal noises or play in the movement. The idler pulleys should spin easily without resistance but should not free spin for long if you spin them by hand, ie they should only turn 1-2 more revolutions then stop (not keep spinning). Check the SC, PS pump, WP, A/C comp, etc.

PhantomLover007
02-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Ok. I got a chance to check out the GA today and I change the TPS sensor out. It had EVERYTHING to do with the stalling/stuttering issues and the tranning shifting so roughly. One set of male and female connections was fouled up due to water I guess. The rubber gasket was crappy as you can see in the attached pic. I guess rain had seeped in due to the drive from Savannah to Atlanta to see the wifey on the weekend of the Super Bowl. Yes. I don't have the scoops closed on teh SC/T hood.. lol. What can I use to clean the electrical contacts BTW/

Now I have no issues except for the belt squealing and I will deal w/ that this weekend.

AaronGTR
02-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Hmm, I think I'd probably just replace that plug.