steering shaft install? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : steering shaft install?

turdstangjunk69
02-27-2011, 10:06 AM
ok i replaced my transmission and i am putting the sub frame back in. my question is how in the world does the steering shaft go back on. i cannot figure it out.

AaronGTR
02-27-2011, 01:41 PM
It's not easy. You have to line up the splines on the two halves while you raise it into place, then put the bolt back in the clamp piece and tighten it. I've only done it once, when I had to replace the entire sub-frame (was bent in an accident). The rest of the time I prefer taking the engine and trans out the top. I think it's easier. And you don't have to get an alignment afterward then.

AleroB888
02-27-2011, 01:54 PM
ok i replaced my transmission and i am putting the sub frame back in. my question is how in the world does the steering shaft go back on. i cannot figure it out.

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily"

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/Gflash01/Album%20-%202/Bluto.jpg?t=1298839917

cutlsp
02-27-2011, 03:12 PM
It has 2 flat spots where you line it up and has a notch for the bolt to go through once it is lined up. I have taken them off gm fwd cars a few time you might need the spread the notch on the shaft a little bit to make it easier to slip on the rack. When you torque it to spec it will be fine.

slw240sx
02-27-2011, 06:31 PM
i always use a small pry bar to jam in the gap to open up the sleeve then slide the thing back together and bolt it shut. i normally put the pry bar in while taking it apart and leave it hanging in the gap until im done. its been ages since i did it on a GAGT , but i have to do it on the nissans we build all the time, so much so that its nolonger a PITA thing todo.