aux input? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : aux input?

KJMach
03-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Ive searched these forums. And google for a week. Ive got an04 grand am gt with the premium sound monsoon 1 cd changer. Ive looked at the back of the radio and it seems to have a spot to plug in something but its a bigger port. I really want to directly connect my.sirius radio pod to the factory headunit for best qaulity. Can someone tell me what adaptor i need to simply hook a 3.5 aux cable and use the aux feature?? Ill gladly give any info if i missed something. Im a chrysler tech and this is alot different then what im used too. Thanks

Pauljp
03-05-2011, 08:50 AM
I searched and found this:
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80939&highlight=radio+aux

or this:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=installing+an+aux+input+on+a+grand+a

AaronGTR
03-05-2011, 08:56 AM
First, if it's one CD it's not a changer. lol

Second, none of the factory stereos came with an auxiliary port. The big plug on the back is probably for the optional tape deck you could get with some packages.

If you want to play an ipod through the stereo, you are either going to have to get one of those RF transmitters that broadcasts your ipod output to a radio channel your stereo picks up, or get an aftermarket head unit.

KJMach
03-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks thats what i needed. Guess ill just have to settle for the fm modulator to block other stations. Next question... will i need an adaptor for the radio antenna or is it the basic size like dodge?

dlineownzu4life
03-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Aaron, don't lie to him! The first link posted works great. Along with a thread started by the same guy on GAOC I put one on mine in about 20 minutes. Two cuts and two solders and youre done

AaronGTR
03-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Eh, I didn't even read it. What's it use, the XM radio input? I wouldn't have even thought of that, because my car doesn't have it. They didn't start putting XM in Grand Am's until later years. I see he has an '04 so for him I guess that would work. For a lot of people though it still wouldn't work.

dlineownzu4life
03-05-2011, 05:25 PM
There's a ribbon cable that goes from the cassette deck or the CD player, or the XM input, any of them work, and two of the wires in it are left and right line in signal.

Using those threads to figure out which two wires in the ribbon you want you can solder in a headphone jack in line with the ribbon, so when a blank CD/Tape etc is played the head unit looks there for a signal, and finds the L&R signal input.

The plug is in line with the actual CD deck too, so there's no loss in functionality with it.