I got stranded... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : I got stranded...

jeepmudbogger
03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
So, less than a week before I leave for 6 months, my car decided to take a crap on me while i was in FL for the weekend. I heard a real loud ticking coming from the very top of the motor and the low oil light came on. I put 2 quarts in, and the light is still on and it wont stop ticking. My first thought was that I broke a rocker arm but now I am starting to think that the oil pump went out. what do you guys think?

AaronGTR
03-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Since the rocker arm wouldn't really affect oil pressure I'd say that isn't it.

Is it the "low oil" light or the "oil" light? Because there are actually two oil lights on the gauge cluster. There is a sensor in the oil pan for the oil level, and the pressure switch in the block that warns of low pressure. That light only comes on if the pressure drops under 5psi, so I would say that almost certainly points to the oil pump. If the drive was broken that would make an audible ticking noise too. Whatever you do, don't drive it anywhere and don't run it if you can help it. You'll kill the bearings.

Try taking out the oil pump drive gear and shaft first and see what that looks like. It's on the top of the engine block right under the upper intake manifold neck. Might have to take some stuff off to get it out, and there is one bolt and a metal bracket holding it in. Should look like this when it comes out.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/AaronGTR/DSCN3952.jpg

stewartfn18
03-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Is it the "low oil" light or the "oil" light? Because there are actually two oil lights on the gauge cluster. There is a sensor in the oil pan for the oil level, and the pressure switch in the block that warns of low pressure. That light only comes on if the pressure drops under 5psi, so I would say that almost certainly points to the oil pump. If the drive was broken that would make an audible ticking noise too. Whatever you do, don't drive it anywhere and don't run it if you can help it. You'll kill the bearings.

just to clarify, you may not have a oil level sensor, i know i dont but im not sure what year they decided to stop putting them in

jeepmudbogger
03-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Sorry guys. I have been on quite the trek here in the past week or so.

The light that came on was the "low oil" light. The ticking noise sounded like a really loud lifter tick coming from the very top of the motor.

I think my biggest worry is even though I put oil back in it, the "low oil" light is still on.

rizer
03-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Like Aaron was saying, probally the oil pump, even if you put oil in, its still struggling to get oil to the upper engine. Was the oil low before you added?

jeepmudbogger
03-23-2011, 03:02 AM
When I added, it had just started making the noise and the light had come on, so I checked the level.

jeepmudbogger
03-23-2011, 03:08 AM
ok, I thought I had put this in before. After I had got it home, I started it up and the ticking went away after approx 30 seconds. So, I'm guessing that the pump still works but lost its prime?

AaronGTR
03-23-2011, 04:52 PM
ok, I thought I had put this in before. After I had got it home, I started it up and the ticking went away after approx 30 seconds. So, I'm guessing that the pump still works but lost its prime?

Nope. That type of pump won't lose prime, unless the pump is broken. I'd still check it out.

jeepmudbogger
10-14-2011, 03:41 PM
So, I had the motor apart, changed all the lifters, got it back together and it still is ticking but this time it isn't going away. I made a video, can anyone tell me what is going on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV7GYv3NWuw

Starglow
10-14-2011, 06:19 PM
To me it sounds like the engine isn't firing on all cylinders.

Have you checked the spark plug wires to make sure they're properly connected?
Pull the spark plugs to check their condition as well as perform cylinder compression and oil pressure tests. Start with the basics and work from there to reveal the answer, but given the oil light was on that engine might be toast.

Can you say 3500 swap? 8-)

jeepmudbogger
10-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Neither oil light is on anymore. The SES light is always on because I removed a clogged cat without putting another back in but I checked it anyway. It pulled up P0303 (cylinder 3 misfire). I figured it was because it was horrible to get started at first. But I did not check the plug or wire. I will tomorrow

Can you say 3500 swap? 8-)

It is on the to-do list but it won't happen for a little while. I am moving back up to NY next month....if the car will allow me...

Starglow
10-14-2011, 07:50 PM
It's hard to get the plug wires on those rear cylinders and sometimes the boot feels like it's on the plug when it's not.....ask me how I know this but lets just say the sound of your engine was very familiar to me. 8-)

jeepmudbogger
10-15-2011, 05:01 PM
I figured out why there was a cylinder 3 misfire. I had the pushrods for that cylinder switched. I got new ones and it runs good. Now I just have a P0300 (random misfire). Not sure where to start on that one.

zukiracer19
10-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Yea you can definitely hear that misfire. check your coil connections for each wire cleanem off if you have to... thats a good place to start.

zukiracer19
10-18-2011, 01:49 AM
I have to head over to the garage tomorrow, ill take a pic of my old coil... it WAS the reason my car was misfiring. never had a good connection. I was getting the Random Misfire Code 300 same as you.

jeepmudbogger
10-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Don't worry about it. I have a bent valve. Its going into the shop today

zukiracer19
10-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Hopefully you didn't do to much damage.