horn and steering wheel [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : horn and steering wheel

Brad1978
03-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Recently I removed my multifunction switch and cleaned the contacts to stop the clicking, but I didn't know the switch controlled the horn. The cancel cam is now bent and needs to be replaced. I had a few questions.

I have replaced my cruise control switch before so I'am familiar with removing the air bag, but I noticed the steering wheel doesn't have the common 2 bolt holes for a steering wheel pluller. Is there a special kind that needs to be used so nothing is damaged?

Was also wondering if the clock spring is all that difficult to remove?

Is the cancel cam a dealer part only?

Thank you very much for your help

KhellendrosxS
03-14-2011, 03:57 PM
I pulled my steering wheel off by hand once the nut was removed. It took about five minutes of wiggling it left and right before it came off.

The one I got out of the junkyard took about an hour of cursing and sweating but I was able to pull it off without a puller too. A liberal application of PBlaster probably would have made it come off more quickly though.

As for the clockspring IIRC you need to pull the dash off to access the long yellow insulated wires for the airbag that run to the drivers side fuse box and also IIRC there are wires buried behind the column that connect the cruise control (and radio controls if equipped). I never tried to undo them from below the dash since I was swapping the dash out anyway.

Are you sure its the cancel cam thats broken? Often when someone doesnt know what to do when putting it back on they bend the horn pin and/or horn ring. The horn pin is about a quarter inch long and contacts the ring but must be depressed into the MF switch so it is not bent by forcing the MF switch back down in to place. If this is not the case I have no idea what part you would need or where to go about getting it. If it is this part sometimes the pin can be straightened but should be tested before reassembling the steering wheel.

I have a non radio control clockspring that I pulled out of my car when I changed it for a steering wheel (and clockspring)with the radio controls if you are in need of a replacement clockspring.

AaronGTR
03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I use a regular three-arm pulley puller to get mine off. I've done it on other cars though by just pulling after the nut was removed, and having someone whack the steering shaft in the center with a hammer. Usually a couple whacks with make the wheel pop loose and come right off with little effort.

Brad1978
03-14-2011, 08:02 PM
The cancel cam has a couple bends on it, and I checked today the horn pin you spoke of, and it's broke. It must have broken recently it wasn't like that 2 days ago.