Back caliper/rotor bolts stuck [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Back caliper/rotor bolts stuck

Ceej
03-14-2011, 03:07 PM
My friends 99 SE needs the rotors changed, and the bolts on the back end of the rotor literally will not come off. Its getting to the point that were stripping the bolts. Help?

KhellendrosxS
03-14-2011, 03:17 PM
I hope youre talking about the caliper bolts (not the rotor as you stated) above. If not, the bolts coming through the rotor are lugs and they are part of the hub assembly and are not to be removed. Tap the rotor with a rubber mallet (after removing the caliper) until it comes free of the hub.

If you were actually talking about the caliper:

First make sure youre using the correct size metric socket (its been too long since Ive touched the back brakes to remember the exact size, sorry). Then use a breaker bar if possible for extra leverage and so you wont have the head of a ratchet hitting anything and knocking the socket of to the side.

Then your two options.

1) Propane torch like the kind used for soldering plumbing pipe. Turn it on and head up the heads of the bolts and tap them with a hammer. The heat and tapping should break loose any corrosion. Two things to keep in mind: Do not let the flame get near the brake line, you dont want to melt it. Second, youre working near the fuel tank so be careful that you dont wave the flame around the fuel lines or the tank itself. Work in a well ventilated area (raise the garage door, etc) if you do use the torch.

2) Find some PBlaster with the yellow cap. This stuff is penetrating oil and will work its way down in between all the rust and corrosion and help loosen it. If the heating method does not work spray this on the heads of the bolts and allow it to soak in for a while. Repeat applications until they become loose. Do not use the torch AFTER spraying them down as you risk igniting the oil.

cutlsp
03-14-2011, 03:18 PM
have you tried using an impact on them already or are you using basic hand tools?

knightrida
03-14-2011, 03:19 PM
I had some bolts that were stubborn on my gagt before and i used some stuff called PB blaster its in a spray can almost like WD-40 but better. I sprayed it on there and let it sit for about an hour or so and tried again and it turned free. Stuff works pretty good.

Ceej
03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
We have the top part off.. But the second piece wont. The connects to the end of the boot, if thats what its called. It holds the rotor in place.

cutlsp
03-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Pb blaster is another thing I use when I don't have space for my air tools. I haven't found anything that works better then PB blaster besides my air tools lol

cutlsp
03-14-2011, 03:23 PM
that part is the caliper bracket and they are a pain in the ass to take off. lol

Ceej
03-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Are they reverse threaded? Heat as well as pb blaster has not worked

cutlsp
03-14-2011, 03:26 PM
nope they probably had lock-tit red put on them or something. what kind of tools are you using? Are you using a 6 point socket or a 12 point? I would be using a 6 point.

Ceej
03-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Well the bolts are done because they stripped so were i
Using a vice grip

cutlsp
03-14-2011, 03:34 PM
;crap um its time to get your hands on a grinder and give those bolts some new flats to be able to turn them.

knightrida
03-14-2011, 03:37 PM
;crap um its time to get your hands on a grinder and give those bolts some new flats to be able to turn them.

I was just going to say that. Sounds like its grinder time. Been there done that before

KhellendrosxS
03-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Yep, grind on new flat surfaces.

If youre able to get the flats back use a 6 point socket, a 12 point is just going to round them over again. Six points and breaker bars should always be used (unless you have air tools) for stubborn bolts. Id be soaking them in PB every hour and let them sit overnight, its not something that goes to work the very second you put it on. The more its stuck the more time it needs to soak in.

whiteGT99
03-14-2011, 04:16 PM
^^^ yupp me too, my front caliper bracket bolts would not come out and i ended up just stripping the bolt heads so took a grinder the the head and got the bracket off then had to heat up and use vise grips to get the rest of the bolt out of the bracket

PITA

cutlsp
03-14-2011, 05:17 PM
yup i only use 12 point sockets for 12 point bolts i never use anything other then 6 point sockets on anything suspension or brake related its just asking for trouble lol

AaronGTR
03-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah, you will never turn those bolts with vise grips. All you will accomplish is chewing the head up.

They probably didn't have lock tight on them. They were probably just corroded. They are steel bolts going into threads in the aluminum upright. Different metals in contact where air and water are present will cause oxidation. Same thing happens with the bleeder screws on brake calipers, which is why I always take them out and put some anti-seize on them, so I can get them out later. I do the same thing with the caliper bracket bolts and the threads at the top of the slider bolts as well.

Best way to get them out is usually spray some penetrating oil on them and let them sit for a couple hours, then use a 6 point socket and air impact on them. If that doesn't work, then heating with a propane torch. This all needs to be done before the bolt heads get messed up of course. ;)

Ceej
03-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Haha yeah my friend is a bit impatient so he stripped it pretty fast lol. I figured trying to break loose the corrosion inside the caliper may have helped it get loose... But by that time it was done.

Needless to say the car is back to the shop. Thanks for the help though