power steering line [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : power steering line

icecats87
03-15-2011, 10:38 AM
when i was dropping my engine back into my car last night the back mount busted this power steering line, does anyone know where i can get a replacement one? i have a picture of mine and found another picture where it originally goes.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y336/dvero1727/Untitled.png?t=1300206916

Heres the line i broke off (didnt have 12MM line lock wrench so busted it off anyways to get it off) its also twisted to break it off

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y336/dvero1727/IMG00080-20110315-1027.jpg?t=1300207013

AaronGTR
03-15-2011, 03:50 PM
hmm, that PS rack looks familiar... lol

That could be a hard one. Hopefully they service it separately from the rack. You might have to go the parts counter at a dealership to find out. If not, you might be able to get one from a junk yard but they'll probably want to sell you the whole rack. Otherwise, your best bet would be to make a custom replacement. That might actually be the cheapest and easiest.

Most autoparts stores carry a selection of straight hard tubing in different sizes and lengths, and with different flares and fittings on the end. You'll need to measure the pipe diameter and length, and see if they have a piece there the right length or close that you can bend to match. You can get a hand tube bender for $10-15. It would be best to take the old one with you to match up the flare type and fitting size, since there are several types and both metric and standard threads. If you can't find one with just the right length, you might have to cut the tube to length and also rent a flaring tool to make a new end (re-using the fitting it came with).

icecats87
03-15-2011, 03:57 PM
hmm, that PS rack looks familiar... lol

That could be a hard one. Hopefully they service it separately from the rack. You might have to go the parts counter at a dealership to find out. If not, you might be able to get one from a junk yard but they'll probably want to sell you the whole rack. Otherwise, your best bet would be to make a custom replacement. That might actually be the cheapest and easiest.

Most autoparts stores carry a selection of straight hard tubing in different sizes and lengths, and with different flares and fittings on the end. You'll need to measure the pipe diameter and length, and see if they have a piece there the right length or close that you can bend to match. You can get a hand tube bender for $10-15. It would be best to take the old one with you to match up the flare type and fitting size, since there are several types and both metric and standard threads. If you can't find one with just the right length, you might have to cut the tube to length and also rent a flaring tool to make a new end (re-using the fitting it came with).

haha yeah got it from a post you had while back its perfect because its piece that broke, but i left both flares on the actual rack itself my teacher said just brake of the line for size and to bring in, im pretty sure i wont need the whole rack because the line came off easy its hard to explain without pictures but ill try dealership if not ill check out dealerships