Should I get another grandam? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Should I get another grandam?

mds33200
03-16-2011, 03:06 AM
Hi, I know this may be alittle off topic but im just looking for some advice.

I had an 04 silver grandam and got into alittle fender bender (pic below) and I was wondering what car I should buy to replace it with.

I dont know if I should go with another grandam or a grandprix or even a g6 or even something else. I dont know much about other models, I am just wondering how they compare to the grandam? my grandam had 90 k miles, I got it brand new and it was my 2nd grandam I owned so one thing I realized is it seems the bearings dont last very long (both cars needed replacments) but thats not that big of a deal. Also over the past year my car developed a coolent leak- I had to refill it every few months. Other then that I loved the car- I especially like the sporty style. The only other manufacturers style I seemed to like was Nissan but know nothing about them.

I was told toyotas get the biggest bang for the buck, holding there value but I find them very unatractive in style and just the general feeling when I look at them.

So I just dont know what to get. Any sugestions? ps- I am looking for a similar size car and my spending range is arround 10k (take or give depending on value)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/mds33200/DSC01252.jpg

AleroB888
03-16-2011, 03:28 AM
If you can find a GrandAm with less than 35K miles for $5000 with the features you want, I'd do that. For $10,000 you have a lot of good alternatives.

ATF@yahoo.com
03-16-2011, 04:07 AM
i think grandam is the best car i have ever owned but they do need work from time to time but every car dose, i find the grandam to be the safest

AaronGTR
03-16-2011, 05:49 PM
I know how you feel. I just like the style and feel of most Pontiacs more than other cars. Even Chevy, although they are mechanically similar.

I would never drive a Toyota. I don't care how good people say they are, I just don't like them. Bland cars for bland people who don't care about cars or driving. Not crazy about Honda either... only one I would buy is the S2000. Civics/integras get stolen too often and targeted by cops all the time. I would certainly buy a Nissan, a Subaru, or even a Mazda first. They have personality and perform pretty well.

If you want to stay with Pontiac, I'd say in that price range you could find a low miles G6 in good shape. Maybe a new Grand Prix GTP (although I wouldn't buy one). Might even be able to find a first gen GTO depending on the miles and condition. Anything newer like the G8 is going to be a lot more expensive still I think.

cutlsp
03-16-2011, 07:10 PM
I'd try to find a g6 GT or GXP for the amount you have to spend. It will be easier to find a low mileage one of those then another grand am.

bricooper78
03-16-2011, 10:53 PM
dude, that wasn't just a fender bender! that's a whole thing bender!

but, any wreck you can walk away from is at least a kinda good one..

and it's all up to you, they made turds in every brand, and every car has its "tic". if you liked your GA, find another, it's not a bad car at all IMO

Brenden747
03-17-2011, 01:31 AM
I too got in an accident with my GA, the one thing I never thought id be owning was a 97 civic 5 speed, it had 200kmiles and a price of 1100, I couldn't pass it up, even though it was the thing I hated most, I was totally dreading it at first, but its not so bad in the end, great mpg, pretty quick little things, and very mechanically sound. Even with a totally stock one, I feel like I'm being watched when I'm at a 4-way with a cop a lot more than if i was in my grand am.. Almost like they expect me to do something dumb..

And at 10k for a NICE low mileage grand am, you would be better off getting something else, for under the 4k price range, and grand am is great value, but for 10k I wouldn't.. **** for 10 grand you could get an older M3, a GTP, a neon SRT-4, a mazdaspeed protege 3, a camaro, mustang, 06+ Supercharged or turbo's cobalt, firebird, maybe even a GTO. The list of better cars is only going to get longer the higher you are looking at paying for a grand am, if you are looking at another one that's under 5k go for it, but anything over that you will probably regret in the future.

SC/T02
03-17-2011, 08:10 AM
My old Grand Am was good to me through hard driving and all. Never had a real issue at all. I think the dash was a real cool design feature on the grand am. I would look at a G6 GT or some GXPs without the street package. Should be able to find it for 10k or less. Similar size, GXP is a lot quicker. Not too many mid size cars would compare to what you are looking for in the price range.

[ChaosweaveR]
03-17-2011, 10:08 AM
My old Grand Am was good to me through hard driving and all. Never had a real issue at all. I think the dash was a real cool design feature on the grand am. I would look at a G6 GT or some GXPs without the street package. Should be able to find it for 10k or less. Similar size, GXP is a lot quicker. Not too many mid size cars would compare to what you are looking for in the price range.

Ditto. I love my GAGT's dash and interior. Going on almost nine years old, 137K on the clock, and it still looks as good as new.

Also, GM did make a few G6 GTP's with the LY7 motor (GXP's 3.6L DOHC V6) ;)

hass
03-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Damage doesn't look too bad, so whatcha do... Buy a new grand am.
Buyback your old one (the one above), unless you're not going through insurance or whatever.

Strip everything useable off of it, pull eng/trans everything. Including AC compressor, starter, calipers, rotors, etc... Then whenever something breaks on your new one, you have replacements ^_^

It's what I did, especially usable since I replaced a lot of parts on my old car and used all lifetime warranty crap. So if something does break, I don't even have to go to the parts store for a replacement :]
cost me $227 to buy back my 99, and everything was reusable except for headlights (a guy pulled out in front of me and my front pass side was folded in a little), fog lights, hood, and some other random inexpensive crap. If you look at it, basically my buy back price was paid just by me being able to take off the rims+tires, not counting eng/trans and all the other big ticket stuff.
Then you take it to the scrap yard, and get $100-200 back :]