Strange Battery/Starting Problems. Alternator? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Strange Battery/Starting Problems. Alternator?

Sabiancym
03-16-2011, 06:47 PM
I have a 99 GT 4 Door with around 74k miles on it and lately its been having some weird problems.

About a week ago I had trouble getting the car started. It just wouldn't turn over and I figured it was just a battery problem. After trickle charging it it started up and lasted for awhile. After the weekend I went to start it and it did the same thing, only this time, the trunk popped open by itself when struggling to start. Needless to say, it was weird. I then tried to start it again and it started perfectly, like nothing was wrong.

So I went to the shop, and they kept starting it over and over. Sometimes it would start right up no problem, other times it wouldn't even turn over and the trunk would open. The guy tested it and said my battery and alternator was fine. Then another guy came in and did some more tests, said everything tested fine, but then did it again and said my alternator was bad. I don't trust him though.

How could my alternator be bad if the car starts fine one moment, but then acts like it has no power at all the next. I'll literally get in my car, start it completely fine, then turn it off and try again, and it won't even turn over.

I'm at a complete loss. The alternator was just replaced 18 months ago, and the battery is only 2 years old. How can it start fine one moment, and then act like the battery is dead the next? I've checked the connections, cleaned them, etc.

I'm at a loss. I did manage to find this guy's post here where he says his trunk is opening by istelf and he's just replaced his alternator and battery. But no solution is ever posted. http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79013

Any ideas? I have a feeling the shop is just trying to sell me an alternator for the heck of it and they don't really know what's wrong. Especially after telling me that it's fine 2 minutes before saying I need to replace it.

Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks for the help.

AaronGTR
03-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Check the contacts of all the positive power cables in the engine bay, and all the ground points. Make sure they are clean/bare metal and no corrosion or rust. I had an issue once where mine wouldn't start and I barely any power to the gauges and could hear my interior lights relay just clicking repeatedly. After messing with the battery cable then it just started up and ran like nothing was wrong. Ended up being corrosion on the contact of the positive battery connector.

Another possible problem could be the ignition switch.