Sluggish in 3rd [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish in 3rd

hass
03-16-2011, 06:51 PM
I've searched around, and found quite a few threads with similar symptoms, but never any real solution.

Anyway, at approx ~30mph after the car shifts in to 3rd, the car loses power it seems.
It almost feels like you're downshifting to a much lower gear, or hitting the brakes. I have to push the pedal down maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the way more in order for it to speed up, and get above 2k RPMs. It will also stutter, almost exactly like it's misfiring.
Once I reach 40-45 or so, the car will shift in to 4th, then drive normally. I can speed up faster while the car is in 4th/OD versus speeding up in 3rd.
First/second are fine.

I would say it began maybe two weeks ago, but I couldn't really tell if it was just me imagining it, the wind, or it was actually the car. But now I can reproduce the symptoms, so I guess it's time to act :]
It only does this when the car is warm as well.

Haven't done a filter change yet, going to do that tomorrow.
Think it will help any? Or should I be looking at a TPS, or cat, or something else?

04 GAGT, 86k miles.

hass
03-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Trans filter replaced, still had the same problem.
on the way home today, now sluggish in all gears... and can't gain speed going up inclines.
RPMs are typically fairly high for little gain in anything.

Possible Cat/o2?

I also have an AC compressor that is very noisy (I think it's the AC compressor!)
with the hood open, the noise is painful to the ear.
Could such a bad bearing cause an extra load on the engine, causing similar symptoms of a bad cat?