Over torqued Felpro LIM gasket [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Over torqued Felpro LIM gasket

G.I.Ceo
03-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Well last night my brother and I were putting back together the LIM on my car. I was off work on a switch inside the car while he was tightening down the LIM. We get all done and did what he thought was following the torque spec that is in the GM service manual until he realized that he didnt go by in-lb but instead ft-lb's. We checked it and the bolts are around 30ft-lb's to 35ft-lb's.
The gasket we are using for the LIM is a Felpro permatex gasket. So what I was wondering what would happen if I left it the LIM over torqued and put it all back together. It was a honest mistake on his part and it was late at night when we were finishing up. He followed the tightening sequence to a "T" so we know at least that is right. I just don't want to take it all apart and drop another $75 for more gaskets.
So do you think I will be cool to leave it alone? My gut is telling me it will but I was hoping for some input as to if it would be ok or not. I am thinking it will because the permatex is more a rubber compound and can flex as were the original gasket was just a solid piece of plastic. So what should I do?

hass
03-17-2011, 03:19 PM
the bolts didnt snap or anything?.. impressive

G.I.Ceo
03-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Nope no bolts breaking or LIM cracking.

Malaclypse
03-17-2011, 06:01 PM
If you haven't run the car, you can re-use the gaskets. The heat causes the gaskets to flatten out over time. Since they're brand new, they'll hold shape even after having been torqued down.

Take that thing back apart and re-torque to GM spec. Over tightening those bolts could cause problems in the future.

G.I.Ceo
03-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Well the only thing I am a little worried about doing that is the gasket flatening when he torqued them down. So you think the gasket will bounce back where ever it was smashed at? I am just afraid of tearing it apart and then having to get new gaskets because they are not cheap. It stinks you can't buy that LIM by itself without having to buy a whole set of gaskets that I already have. So should I take it off completely and redo it will new RTV sealent or just loosen the bolts and then retourque them back down? I knew I should have done it myself in the first place.

AaronGTR
03-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Yes, if it hasn't got hot yet the gasket should bounce right back. Take it apart and take the bolts out and make sure the threads aren't mangled and they aren't starting to strip. Use lock tight and re-install, and torque to proper specs.

Also don't forget there was a TSB released with new torque specs that aren't in the service manual. You still follow the same sequence for tightening the bolts, but you tighten them all to 115 lb/in first (you should go around in sequence and check them at least 3 times), then for the diagonal bolts only (not the vertical bolts) you tighten them to 18 lb/ft.

G.I.Ceo
03-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Well found out that this is not a Felpro permatex gasket but a Dorman one. I bought these from Ben at Wot-Tech and I guess that's what he uses for his intake gaskets that he supplies.

We got the gasket thing worked out as far as I can tell so I decided to start putting it back together. I guess if it leaks then I will buy a Felpro LIM gasket and call it a day. I am pretty sure we are good to go.

02GT_SkyHigh
03-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Well found out that this is not a Felpro permatex gasket but a Dorman one. I bought these from Ben at Wot-Tech and I guess that's what he uses for his intake gaskets that he supplies.

We got the gasket thing worked out as far as I can tell so I decided to start putting it back together. I guess if it leaks then I will buy a Felpro LIM gasket and call it a day. I am pretty sure we are good to go.

Lucky cause my dads mechanic made the same mistake and cracked both Middle LIM ports on my OEM one. It was the felpro gaskets though and they have a metal tab to hold them in place on those ports and when it was tightened, it broke.