HID kits [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HID kits

knightrida
03-19-2011, 03:12 AM
I was wondering if a HID kit can be installed in stock OEM GAGT headlights? Was looking on eBay and found one that i may get. Tell me what you think is it worth it? Can it be installed on OEM lights? How hard would it be to install? And if i only got the low beams my highs wont work correct? Sorry for all the questions i just wanted some better visibility at night. Thanks!! Here is the website:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kit-BI-XENON-BIXENON-HID-H4-8000K-DUAL-BEAMS-Hi-Lo-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZYearQ3a2000Q7cMakeQ3aPonti acQ7cModelQ3aGrandQ20AmQ7cSubmodelQ3aGTQQhashZitem 2559185133QQitemZ160408555827QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fT ruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

AaronGTR
03-19-2011, 08:32 AM
You can... but they produce a great deal of glare to oncoming drivers and don't make a proper beam pattern so they don't shine very far down the road. You need head light housings or projectors that are designed to work with HID's for them to work properly. Plus most Ebay kits are junk and don't last (bulbs/ballasts burn out). And no, you won't have any high beams anymore.

knightrida
03-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Oh ok thanks for the info Aaron much appreciated!! Could i just adjust the angle of the beam toward the ground would that help with glare on oncoming drivers? What is the best kit to get? And what about the DRL will those still work since its a lower wattage being used for them? And will the auto on headlights at dusk still come on? Thinking i will get them cause later on i plan on upgrading my light housing anyways. Is there a housing that works well with these cars that involve no cutting of header panel? Again sorry for all the questions I'm just learning

Jake
03-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Don't be an *******, get projectors lol.

Do it right or don't do it!

knightrida
03-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Don't be an *******, get projectors lol.

Do it right or don't do it!

True true lol yeah i hear ya that would be best to do that first :-) What is the best brand to get?

AaronGTR
03-19-2011, 07:36 PM
You'd have a get a 9007 bulb kit to work with the stock headlights, and any projector you get later will have a different bulb so you would have to buy different bulbs again later. Plus there really is not amount of adjusting you can do to correct the beam pattern. The reflectors inside just weren't made for that type of bulb. I would just wait and do it the right way.

There was a very recent thread in this section about someone making his own retro-fit projector headlights. Had links to a site where you can buy the projectors and everything. DDM tuning is a good place to get the ballasts and bulbs from. You should be able to piece together and decent setup from that.

cutlsp
03-20-2011, 01:26 AM
or buy these lights if you don't feel like making the lights yourself

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85221 funny thing another member is selling something you could buy to save time.

knightrida
03-20-2011, 02:25 AM
or buy these lights if you don't feel like making the lights yourself

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85221 funny thing another member is selling something you could buy to save time.

Yeah those are really nice lil to much for me right now have to save up a little bit more funds right now are going toward my sub-box build and system upgrades:D Wishing i didn't drop that 460 in my truck now......;crap but that's another story