Clear coating or Not [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Clear coating or Not

street_fire
03-29-2011, 06:38 PM
So here is a dumb question but oh well. I just got done painting some interior parts black and wondering if it's a good idea to clear coat them or not. So far i have painted the vent rings and the plastic piece that goes around the door handles. Any advice is good advice for me.

SikMindz
03-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Yes.

Clear coating will give them some added shine and protect the actual paint. Make sure you spray thin layers so you don't add any extra size to the parts- it makes them harder to put in.

Unless you already sprayed the black on too thick. Then you're just focked. lol

street_fire
03-30-2011, 07:30 AM
They were nice and even coats. In a few days I guess I'll clear coat them when I have time.

cwolfenberger1
04-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Old topic i know.. I am going to do the same in my white 99 GT was thinking of going with some white interior, to match the outside.. Anyways, does anyone know if Dupli-color is a good clear coat brand to go with for this stuff? I have heard overall good about it, but I wanted an opinion from some experience. And would white look good inside? Not the whole thing obviously, but the vent circles and other little trim parts..

Grreen99GT
04-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Old topic i know.. I am going to do the same in my white 99 GT was thinking of going with some white interior, to match the outside.. Anyways, does anyone know if Dupli-color is a good clear coat brand to go with for this stuff? I have heard overall good about it, but I wanted an opinion from some experience. And would white look good inside? Not the whole thing obviously, but the vent circles and other little trim parts..

Yea that should be good for the clearcoat. I think white would look good inside, just as long as you don't go overboard.

cwolfenberger1
04-25-2011, 01:42 PM
yeah, was thinking just some of the small parts like just the part around the vent and not the vent itself.. just a couple small details..

another question (sorry about high-jacking the thread but i guess it fits) would a white bezel be too much you think?

Grreen99GT
04-25-2011, 03:16 PM
yeah, was thinking just some of the small parts like just the part around the vent and not the vent itself.. just a couple small details..

another question (sorry about high-jacking the thread but i guess it fits) would a white bezel be too much you think?

no

AaronGTR
04-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Personally I've never had good luck with clear coat. If the coats are too thin the finish is rough and dull, and when sprayed on thick enough to get good coverage and shine I always end up with fish eyes. Even after properly prepping and cleaning the part and even if the paint itself goes down fine. I just use a gloss paint to begin with, and it always turns out looking great.

street_fire
04-25-2011, 06:11 PM
this is what i used to paint lil but of my interior

SEM - 38353 Plastic & Leather Phep
SEM - Gloss Black Colour Coat (water base)
Jammin` Clear - clear coat

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224027_10150563415635251_629485250_18141789_628453 9_n.jpg

cwolfenberger1
04-25-2011, 07:05 PM
sweet, I just need to find the paint.. I have some Dupli-color clear coat. Hope it works well lol. I'm also going to use it when I VHT my tails ;)