Whats the best trans fluid you guys recommend? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best trans fluid you guys recommend?

rizer
03-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Only auto stores i got around here is autozone and checkers, what do u guys recommend using to do a drain and fill for a 99 gagt? I will be one thing of lucas additive.

Thanks!

AaronGTR
03-30-2011, 07:28 PM
GM Dexron VI, or castrol equivalent if you can't find it, and NO additives. No lucas, nothing...

bricooper78
03-30-2011, 07:33 PM
so the new dexron will work just fine in the older tranny huh? good to know, gotta get mine done also lol

rizer
03-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks for reply. Its shifting between third and fourth constantly till its warmed up. Figured it might help. Think i should just start with drain/fill first with no additive?

bricooper78
03-30-2011, 08:27 PM
i've never heard anything good from transmission additives at all, but just in general, as picky as the tranny in these GAs are, I'm half scared to open mine at all, there is no way in hell i'd put anything other than tranny fluid in it. ever.

speedfreak1
03-30-2011, 10:11 PM
I run amsoil in all my cars and truck. even the sled...lol

[ChaosweaveR]
03-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Lucas should ONLY be used as a last resort before a rebuild, but by the sound of it, a drain and refill with a filter change should do you well.

rizer
03-30-2011, 11:43 PM
GM Dexron VI, or castrol equivalent if you can't find it, and NO additives. No lucas, nothing...

Closest gm dealer is one hour away so cant get the gm stuff, would this stufd work just as good?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Castrol-1-qt-DEXRON-VI-premium-synthetic-blend-automatic-transmission-fluid-for-use-in-GM-vehicles/_/N-25aa?counter=6&itemIdentifier=930140_0_0_

[ChaosweaveR]
03-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Closest gm dealer is one hour away so cant get the gm stuff, would this stufd work just as good?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Castrol-1-qt-DEXRON-VI-premium-synthetic-blend-automatic-transmission-fluid-for-use-in-GM-vehicles/_/N-25aa?counter=6&itemIdentifier=930140_0_0_

Use it. Castrol makes quaility oil and trans fluid.

AaronGTR
03-31-2011, 05:36 PM

Yes, that would work fine. When the new Dexron VI came out GM was the only one that had it, but most oil companies have there own now that meets the same specs. The new stuff meets much higher technical specs and requirements, and is a major step up from the Dexron IV.

rizer
04-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Welp, did the drain and fill and trans still slips between 3rd and 4th constantly till up to speed. Gonna give it a few days then try the lucas stuff if nothing changes

AaronGTR
04-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Your clutch packs are probably worn out. Adding things is not going to help that. It needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

rizer
04-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Your clutch packs are probably worn out. Adding things is not going to help that. It needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

Thats what i was thinking. Im just hoping being it only does it when cold, the lucas stuff might help. Nothing to lose at this point i guess;crap