sounds like boiling water inside cab [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : sounds like boiling water inside cab

sean_2k5
04-01-2011, 11:54 AM
well i have been loosing water sence i bought the car about 1 and a half years ago then at one point it was going fast about a overflow tank a day and i only loose it when it is running i fixed that by replacing the tempture /water inlet housing but im still loosing water

well i turn the car off after the car has got up to running temp and when every thing is quite it sounds like there is water boiling in side the cab. i tried to find it but i cant no leaks inside the cab or outside the car but my overflow tank is loosing water the refill light comes on once every 3 to 4 days so i took off the kicker panel's on the passenger side and found nothing wet any where and my blower motor seemed fine

so does any one have a clue of what this might be and thanks

grandam3400
04-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Its prob your heater core.

Does the inside of the car smell kind of sweet?

realestdriver
04-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Been there done that!

It could be a heater core, but the reason your hearing that noise is you got air in the coolant system. That causes your coolant to boil and bubble in the hoses and heater core. Since your having leaking somewhere, air is bound to get into the coolant system. Also, your probably putting water into the system since your having to fill it up so much and that also lowers the boiling point of the fluids. Your going to need to look over your engine and plumbing extremely good, then fix any problems. I'd just suggest trying to find a good mechanic because the 3400 coolant system sucks in my opinion and can be a headache.

But in the meantime, keep an eye on the coolant temp gauge and keep it filled up.

sean_2k5
04-01-2011, 01:47 PM
o well i have a 2.4 and there is no sweet smell in my car just boiling water sound and thanks for the reply's and i will replace my heater core to see if that fixes the problem

hahano404
04-01-2011, 02:34 PM
not really an item you want to just to throw in just to see if it fixes anything. u hear it because its the highest point in the system. thats where the air is. find where the coolant is leaking, fix the prob and bleed the system.

Stevo
04-01-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm having a similar issue also, mines the ecotec tho and I'm not loosing any coolant nor do i smell anything sweet but when i do turn off my car after it gets to the normal operating temp i hear something bubbling or pouring out inside the cab but have had no issues with the car and all levels are at normal

sean_2k5
04-01-2011, 03:14 PM
so is everyone saying take the car apart find out where the leak is put back together since it is my only car buy the parts take back apart fix and be happy .... crap that is a lot of work

WidbyJ
04-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Two main factors need to be kept in mind:

1 - The 2.4 is designed to run hot (215 to 235) and will never be happy with just water, it boils too easy and goes away which can make it seem like you are losing coolant. Make sure you are using a 50/50 mix at least before going further

2 - A true coolant leak is usually pretty easy to find because of the coolant left behind. This would be a good time to really clean the engine bay and then park it on concrete when warmed up. Any leaks should show up pretty fast this way

Taking a little extra time up front will make the whole repair go much easier. It does sound like you've got air in the coolant (bubbles/boiling) but the 2.4 is usually pretty good at bleeding its air into the coolant tank. Most common problem is for the cap on the coolant tank to go bad, it is supposed to be on tight and hold pressure (most reports are that it's worth getting these OEM).

sean_2k5
04-01-2011, 10:33 PM
well i have been using coolant in my car from day one it id dex cool 50/50 i learned my lesson from putting straight water in my car ... an old car of mine ended up getting a cracked head from straight water ....i find it easier to type water also i have replaced my over flow cap it was bad the day i bought the car

the way i found out there was no outside leaks (except for the transmission but that is a different story) was i bought that big fold out white board kids use for science fairs in school and i parked my car on it so my motor was over top after it got up to running temp then let it set for 24 hours but when i did that all i found was red (transmission) and black (oil) fluids on the board no orange and my 2.4 runs at 195 in the winter 215 summer

whiteGT99
04-01-2011, 10:43 PM
i have this same problem sorta, i have the 3.4 my coolant tank does not hold any pressure, i replaced the cap and still no pressure i would like to know what i should look for

also i replaced the t stat and replaced all fluid but still gets hotter than normal when sitting in a drive thru or traffic