Slack in Serp Belt....time for new belt?.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Slack in Serp Belt....time for new belt?....

rizer
04-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Hey guys, wanted to see what you guys think. After the car is running for roughly 5 minutes and gets warmed up, you start to hear what i could swear was a exhaust rattle such as a loose heat shield. Turns out the noise is coming from the serp belt, on the back area tha runs from alternator down, it bounces back/forth like it had too much slack. When u press something against belt it goes way. Is this telling me i have a pulley or tensioner going bad or time for new belt? Belt seems good, not many small cracks in rubber

G.I.Ceo
04-03-2011, 02:48 AM
It sounds to me like your belt is shot. When you see your belt move does your tensioner move or vibrate at all? Also if you want you can check the tensioner by putting a 3/8" breaker bar or ratchet on it and seeing if it has any tension on it. I wouldn't drive around either with that belt being that way. You need to get that fixed.

[ChaosweaveR]
04-03-2011, 07:05 AM
The belt itself doesn't wobble, it's the tensioner and idler pulley that will cause that.

What's the mileage?

AaronGTR
04-03-2011, 07:19 AM
I would say the tensioner case is probably cracked. Happens quite often with the OEM one. Take it off and check it around where the spring comes out and see if it's cracked or if there's a chunk missing. If you need to replace it, I recommend a Dayco brand tensioner. The spring and case are much beefier.

bricooper78
04-03-2011, 08:48 AM
go to gates belts website and you can get a free tool to measure the depth of the belt. i got one months ago, it just sits in there, and if you can't feel the little prong thing, the belt is okay (depth wise, still need to check for cracking/splintering).

can't beat the price, and it helps out a bit during checkups

http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear would be "wear" you'd order (i know it was a terrible pun, gimme a break i'm giving you all a freebie lol)

rizer
04-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys, im gonna test the idler pulley after church. I have 102k miles so im thinking thats it

rizer
04-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Well replaced the belt first and inspected the tensioner. Tensioner looked good and all seems well with the new belt and old tensioner. Guess i got away cheap