Battery Light On [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Battery Light On

azr3alazd3ycum
04-11-2011, 01:17 PM
The other day i drove my car and everything was working normal, i tried to start it a couple hours later and it wouldnt do anything. The security light was flashing and the battery light came on. I did the ten minute thing with the key and it started up but the battery light stayed on. After driving it for like two minutes the ABS light, then the TRAC OFF light, and AIR BAG light. The last thing is the fuel gauge just dropped to empty. I just got a new starter and battery for it yet the battery light stays on. The car seems to be running fine except now my radio and none of my interior lights are working. I dont know if anyone else has had this sort of issue, and idea of what to do to fix it?? I figured the only thing left to replace would be the alternator and check all the fuses.

rizer
04-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Have u checked the volts the alternator is putting out?

MIL BREWERS
04-11-2011, 06:15 PM
I also agree it may be an alternator issue. My alternator went out on my first 99 grand am when i was going up a hill in town late one night. Thank god nobody was around because i had to slowly go back down with my car dead and then had to push it couple hundred feet. It also smelled like complete ****. I could only compare it to one of those tar trucks, if you have ever been behind them.

azr3alazd3ycum
04-11-2011, 06:40 PM
naw i havent had the chance to check the voltages on the alternator. School lately has been in the way since its the end of the semester, but i will definitely check it

rizer
04-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Might wanna find time, only takes a few seconds with a volt meter. Dont wanna be broke down at worse time

azr3alazd3ycum
04-11-2011, 08:29 PM
well thankfully i have another car. that is just my DD. so i guess for the week the roles will be switched. thanks for the help also.

AaronGTR
04-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Yeah, battery light usually comes on when output from the alternator is low. Could be a bad winding or diode on the alternator or the voltage regulator.

azr3alazd3ycum
04-12-2011, 07:53 PM
yea i got a chance to get the alternator checked and thats what it was but i had too get three different alternators before i found one that fit. I got two different duralast alternators (both from autozone) but one was for a 03 and the other for an 05 and neither of them fit. they were two different part numbers but neither of the bolt patterns matched up so i ended up having to order a bosch one from napa. i dont know if anyone has had this issue? i just thought it was weird.

azr3alazd3ycum
04-14-2011, 05:50 AM
ok so i have an update. i am not getting any voltage readings from the alternator to the battery. both the battery and the alternator are brand new, so any suggestions??

rizer
04-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Somethings not right, you should be getting something. Line has be disconnected or you got some hell of corrosion going on, just cant see it being that bad, plus the wire would be super hot and probally melt something

azr3alazd3ycum
04-15-2011, 11:33 AM
this is going to sound like the stupidest thing in the world but when i took the starter off to get it checked when it wouldnt start, i forgot to connect the fuselink cable causing the battery to drain, and the battery light to come on. so after replacing the battery and the alternator the problem was me not connecting the cable. smh

burgett2103
04-15-2011, 11:36 AM
well think positive man, you shouldn't have any alternator or battery problems for a while :)

azr3alazd3ycum
04-15-2011, 05:21 PM
lmao exactly. the only thing is in the process of all of this it fried the little box for my aftermarket radio, that does the chime, so now i have to rewire the radio. but all is good otherwise. thank god.