Three Questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Three Questions

FuriousG
04-11-2011, 03:18 PM
So, I thought I had a transmission leak going on (and I still may have a small one through the transmission pan gasket) but when I cleaned up the engine bay the other day I found that the red liquid dripping from my car was actually coolant oozing through a rusted metal coolant line underneath the radiator. The rust was what gave it the red color.

1st question: Does anyone have a part number for those 2 metal coolant lines that run from the top passenger's side of the radiator down and underneath the radiator before converting to rubber hoses? I have searched a few listings and haven't found anything that looks like these.

Next, even though I don't think my transmission leak is as serious as I previously thought, I do still have a problem with power loss when the car is cold. Basically, when I leave my town doing about 30 mph and driving up hill, the RPM's will climb almost to 4000 before shifting into the next gear. Also, the transmission sometimes slams into the next gear while the car is cold rather than smoothly transitioning. The car shifts perfectly fine once it reaches 180 degrees on the temp gauge and runs smoothly even at autobahn speeds. The problems only seem to occur when the engine is still heating up. I have a new filter and gasket to change out the transmission fluid but I'm wondering what else might be causing this.

2nd question: Is this power loss more likely caused by transmission issues or could I be facing something worse?

Finally, I may just be paranoid but I think my SLP exhaust is starting to sound slightly quieter lately. The last time this happened I turned out to have an LIM gasket leak. I have noticed a peanut buttery accumulation on my coolant cap and I'm worried my power loss may be due to my catalytic converter clogging again. I've checked my oil but everything looks normal in there so I'm not 100% certain I have an LIM leak.

3rd question: What sort of things can I check to help nail down what the root of these problems are?

icecats87
04-11-2011, 03:24 PM
The 2 lines going to radiator are tranny lines that is red tranny fluid, the rust isn't making the coolant red

FuriousG
04-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Those are tranny lines? Well, then that does explain a lot of the problems. I had no idea that the transmission oil ran through the radiator. I thought only coolant traveled through that area and that they carried coolant to the tranny to keep it cool. You sir, have blown my mind for the day by stating an obvious fact that I completely missed.

Well, that sounds like it explains both the dripping and the loss of power then. I've been adding more transmission fluid every couple of weeks to keep it running smoothly so at least that's completely validated now.

So does anyone know where I can get replacement lines for both of these?

FuriousG
04-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Found the part number for these lines in case any one is interested. They are transaxle fluid cooler lines and the part is AC Delco 22600707. Thanks for the help!

SevereDevil
04-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Found the part number for these lines in case any one is interested. They are transaxle fluid cooler lines and the part is AC Delco 22600707. Thanks for the help!

just replaced those myself. worse than replacing the strut assembly. took like a hr to take off and a hr to put on. the metal part that goes into the tranny is in the worst possible position, i did it 1 click at a time with my ratchet. took forever to get my hand even in there. good luck if ur replacing it

whiteGT99
04-13-2011, 11:03 PM
the trans filter and new fluid should help with the hard shifting and high rpm's

had the same problem going up hills and i changed mine and havent had a problem since
just make sure u have a contolled dran, take the bolts off starting in the corner and move in and around from there that way the fluid all comes out from that corner instead of all over the place