04-12-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm on Long Island
Have a '99 Grand Am v6

Have SES light on: cylinder 3 misfire
Question is: Will it Pass inspection?
thanx

SevereDevil
04-12-2011, 08:50 PM
no, any SES light will fail inspection, best u can do is go to adv auto and get the cleared the day b4 ur inspection and hopefuly it wont turn on b4 u get there, thats what i did xD

tunersaudioperf
04-13-2011, 06:56 AM
Light went out while driving but can still feel a lil misfire.
Scanned it cuz I have a handheld scanner
P0304 cylinder 4 misfire code without the SES light
would it pass inspection with a code but no SES light on?

SevereDevil
04-14-2011, 04:57 AM
yes i will pass if the lights not on, get it done quick before it pops back on, check ur wires and coil for ur 4th cylinder, may be loose. if thats not it try a compression test make sure its not your head gasket

Y2KGA
04-16-2011, 01:22 PM
It will not pass inspection if the SES light is on. If you reset the SES light, you need to drive it for at least 20 miles so that all the OBD tests are performed. If you bring it in and the OBD tests haven't been run yet, they will not pass the car and ask you to bring it back in a few days. Some OBD scanners will tell you if the tests have run. I think in NY you are allowed one or two tests not run depending on the year of the car.

[ChaosweaveR]
04-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Hmmm...

Cylinder 3? When was the last time you changed plugs and wires? What's the mileage?

I had an issue last year, cylinder 3 misfire, but the plug, wire and coil was fine. Did a compression test, and found out it was a floated valve (no compression in cylinder 3) I'd run a compression test, just to be on the safe side, a floated valve PERFERCTLY emulates a misfire issue (well, it is misfiring...but fuel and spark are being received)

Glen Cove isn't too far off from me, let me know if you need a hand with repairs.