Performance Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Performance Question

street_fire
04-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Ok I have thinking to get a ported and polished upper and lower intake along with a 65mm Throttle Body. All by Milzy Motorsport. So my question is that do I need to tune my PCM for theses mods???

young gun
04-14-2011, 07:52 PM
You don't need too. To get the full potential of them you do.

P.S. i would recommend CAI and a Catback before doing this. Also headers would be a sweet addition but not needed. Also the 65mm throttlebody is not so necessary either unless your going boost. For N/A purposes a 62mm would be fine or even stock until you get headers and ported heads.

steve1974
04-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Glad to see another person from windsor on here. I agree with youngun, You should get a cai intake installed and a non restrictive 2.5" catback first. Then when you get a port and polished upper you'll start to notice some real gains. Most mods support themselves, have fun!

HOYS
04-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Why would you not tune the PCM? I think its an easy mod that everybody should have.

A cat-back exhaust is not necessary before a 65mm TB. Also, a 65mm is applicable for any application, not just boost.

If you don't want the tune, don't get it. I still recommend the intakes and TB no matter what.

G.I.Ceo
04-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Everyone forgets about the DP when doing the exhaust. The DP is one of the most restricted parts on the GA's and no one seems to replace it. What I would do If I was you would be to get a CAI first, buy the custom 2.5" DP from Milzy or have one made, and then replace the CAT back system. After you have done that then replace the headers, and then after that replace the intakes plus TB. In that order you will get the best bang for your buck.

MAC the KNIFE
04-14-2011, 08:53 PM
... buy the custom 2.5" DP... After you have done that then replace the headers... you will get the best bang for your buck.

the aftermarket headers available are sorta blended into a downpipe. so you get a 2.5 dp when you get headers.

steve1974
04-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Milzy sells the down pipe seperate, gives ya a deal on it if you purchase his headers.

HOYS
04-14-2011, 08:58 PM
the aftermarket headers available are sorta blended into a downpipe. so you get a 2.5 dp when you get headers.

The headers go down further than the stock setup, so you need a custom DP for headers compared to stock.

AaronGTR
04-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Why would you not tune the PCM? I think its an easy mod that everybody should have.

A cat-back exhaust is not necessary before a 65mm TB. Also, a 65mm is applicable for any application, not just boost.

If you don't want the tune, don't get it. I still recommend the intakes and TB no matter what.

Everyone forgets about the DP when doing the exhaust. The DP is one of the most restricted parts on the GA's and no one seems to replace it. What I would do If I was you would be to get a CAI first, buy the custom 2.5" DP from Milzy or have one made, and then replace the CAT back system. After you have done that then replace the headers, and then after that replace the intakes plus TB. In that order you will get the best bang for your buck.

yeah, pretty much disagree with all of this.

First off, replacing the TB with a bigger TB won't do anything if that isn't the most restrictive part of the intake. It won't do anything if all that extra air has no where to go because there are other restrictions. Same reason people don't need to replace their MAF with an LS1 unit when they aren't even breaking 9000Hz on the signal yet.

A tuned PCM is great, but you won't get much HP from it without other mods, and you get more from the PCM if it's tuned for the mods you have. So if you have an idea of what mods you'd like, get them first then have the PCM tuned.

The DP is not that restrictive either. It actually has much better flow than the rest of the exhaust. The restrictive part is the stock catalytic converter. The most restrictive part though is the stock exhaust manifolds. Headers give a huge gain. If you plan on getting headers, don't get a downpipe because you'll have to replace the whole thing anyway when you get headers.

I'd get a CAI and a cat-back exhaust first, and a high flow cat at the same time if you can. Then headers. Yes, you can get a larger TB any time after that, but don't expect huge gains from it. The more flow you have from other mods (ported mani's and heads, cam, etc) the bigger the difference the TB will make.

G.I.Ceo
04-14-2011, 09:01 PM
I used Milzys DP for a long time and when I got a set of S&S headers I had the DP chopped to have it fit the headers. Didn't cost much at all to do.

Thanks for the stab about the LS1 MAF sensor Aaron. I know now I didn't need it and the reason for it. I guess I should have never asked but how would I have ever known if I didn't ask? I have a learned a lot from your info on here and I thank you for that.

street_fire
04-14-2011, 09:15 PM
I got a CAI in my right now. I got a magaflow cat, pacesettler exhaust and a tuned PCM coming for MPracing in the mail. I also got a engine mount and trans mount ordered from Milzy Motorsport. So hopefully in a month my car would be golden lol

HOYS
04-14-2011, 09:31 PM
yeah, pretty much disagree with all of this.

Cool. :iconfused

Sounds like OP is in good shape to get ported intakes and a bigger TB.

/thread :applause:

stewartfn18
04-14-2011, 09:34 PM
just curious, why milzy. wot tech parts are flow benched and ported based on best flow, not most volume

HOYS
04-14-2011, 09:37 PM
just curious, why milzy. wot tech parts are flow benched and ported based on best flow, not most volume

Flowbench designed. They don't flow every manifold from what I'm reading.

Milzy flowbench designed the intakes as well. There isn't much you can do to an intake when you port it. There aren't many "tricks" as WOT-Tech says.

street_fire
04-14-2011, 11:11 PM

I was thinking Mizly beacause i was on their website ealry today and WOT-TECH had slipped my mind.

So I don't need to tune my PCM if i get ported upper and lower intake and a TB. Just remember i just thinking about about it. But i might just get headers before port intakes.

HOYS
04-15-2011, 01:07 AM
I was thinking Mizly beacause i was on their website ealry today and WOT-TECH had slipped my mind.

So I don't need to tune my PCM if i get ported upper and lower intake and a TB. Just remember i just thinking about about it. But i might just get headers before port intakes.

I think you called Milzy today, correct?

You don't need a tune for ported intakes and a TB, but a tune would be a good compliment to your mods. Would really wake up your car.

street_fire
04-15-2011, 01:38 AM
I think you called Milzy today, correct?

You don't need a tune for ported intakes and a TB, but a tune would be a good compliment to your mods. Would really wake up your car.

No I didn't call Milzy. Well that's good that don't need to tune the PCM for port intakes and the TB. I got a tuned PCM ordered from MPracing and hopefully it cones in soon.

MAC the KNIFE
04-15-2011, 05:50 AM
currently, my car has p/p intakes from WOT tech, and a 65mm tb, and cai. the intakes noticeably increased the car's power around 4k rpm and higher. the 65mm tb and the cai didn't really make a difference that i could feel. and that's all on a stock tune.

for you, i recommend headers and intakes first.

street_fire
04-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Does it really matter where I get the ported intakes from Mizly or WOT-TECT??? They both have good intakes and they are good companys.

young gun
04-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Does it really matter where I get the ported intakes from Mizly or WOT-TECT??? They both have good intakes and they are good companys.

people will fight for days over this....

But i believe this....

just go with what is your price range, shipping (ones in Ohio the other i believed just moved to Florida)

street_fire
04-15-2011, 10:45 AM
people will fight for days over this....

But i believe this....

just go with what is your price range, shipping (ones in Ohio the other i believed just moved to Florida)

LOL true.

street_fire
04-15-2011, 04:04 PM
TB coolant bypass yes or no???

MAC the KNIFE
04-15-2011, 06:12 PM
^ if your going to do a 65mm tb or whatever, then yes, you'll have to have one. but if your keeping it stock, there's no reason to.
FYI, you can go to autozone, get a foot of coolant hose the right size, 2 hose clamps and your done.

stewartfn18
04-15-2011, 08:47 PM
FYI, you can go to autozone, get a foot of coolant hose the right size, 2 hose clamps and your done.

thats what i did

AaronGTR
04-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Flowbench designed. They don't flow every manifold from what I'm reading.

Milzy flowbench designed the intakes as well. There isn't much you can do to an intake when you port it. There aren't many "tricks" as WOT-Tech says.

well who does flow bench every set? Basically no one unless you ask for yours to be flow tested.

And anyone who thinks there aren't any tricks to porting work... obviously has never done any porting or any flow testing. :rolleyes: It's one of those things that is considered a "black art" in tuning circles. People don't do good porting work unless they do it all the time and you don't even get the best porting work unless you get it from someone who specializes in a specific engine.

To my knowledge, I have never seen or heard anything about Milzy using a flow bench to design his parts. Nor have I heard of him flow testing his parts, and he's never published any of his numbers. His heads and what not look nice, but Ben actually has posted flow numbers for all his parts and makes them publicly available on his site. It's nice to have that info when deciding what purchases to make. The fact that Ben actually HAS his own flow bench in his shop, and uses it regularly... I would go with him over Milzy for that fact alone. But that is just my personal opinion, so take that as you will.

HOYS
04-16-2011, 12:45 AM
I know Milzy pretty well, and I know he has flowed the parts.

I'll try and beat him up so he will post the flow numbers. I have seen them.

Its one of those things, Ben's intakes might flow better than Milzy's or vice-versa, who knows? Neither company will put it on the line to prove their intakes/heads flow better just because there will never be a true equal comparison unless they are flowed on the same bench. We modify engines that come in mini-vans...we don't really generate the most revenue ...or even that much...compared to other platforms/engines.

As far as heads go, I know that Mike and Ben have different things they like to do to the heads for their own reasons. I won't get into that. Just buy what you like. Everyone knows I heavily rep Milzy parts, buts thats because I see the dedication to the quality work that is done by him and his employees.

AaronGTR
04-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Neither company will put it on the line to prove their intakes/heads flow better just because there will never be a true equal comparison unless they are flowed on the same bench.

See that's my whole point... Ben HAS tested his parts on the flow bench and tested some of his competitors parts on the same bench at the same time, and has posted the numbers on forums. I don't remember which specific parts, but I remember seeing the thread.

As far as heads go, I know that Mike and Ben have different things they like to do to the heads for their own reasons. I won't get into that. Just buy what you like. Everyone knows I heavily rep Milzy parts, buts thats because I see the dedication to the quality work that is done by him and his employees.

Well that's a different story and totally unrelated. I'm not saying Milzy isn't dedicated, and I'm not saying he makes bad parts. I think he makes some great parts, and obviously people are going to buy what they like. All I'm saying is I personally think Ben's development method is more correct and his ported parts are better. Again, that's just my personal opinion based on what he does and on the results I've seen. That's all. :thumbs:

street_fire
04-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Ok thx Aaron. I just had a idea popped in my mind. If I do ported intakes and TB. Should I do Street cam, custom pushrods, yellow LS6 springs, LS1 valve spring seals, and valve stem seals for LS1 seats while the top of the motor is out??? Order all the stuff at once so when I do cam it it will easier to get to...

stewartfn18
04-16-2011, 10:28 PM
youll have to pull the engine to do the cam. and if youre not doing that then the springs and everything else is overkill

AaronGTR
04-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Yeah, the whole motor has to come out to do the cam, and you don't need the rest of that stuff until you do a cam. Which springs you use will depend on the cam specs as well.

street_fire
04-17-2011, 11:04 AM
ok good to know thx guys.