DTC 1189 Oil Pressure Sensor [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DTC 1189 Oil Pressure Sensor

G.I.Ceo
04-16-2011, 10:01 PM
So I started getting this code a few days ago. What would happen if I keep driving with this code keep popping up? I have reset it and it keeps showing up each time. I also was wondering if after market accessories can cause this to flash or even oil that needs to be replaced? I'm hoping this is just a bad sensor and as easy as a $8.00 part.

G.I.Ceo
04-17-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm hoping its a bad sensor because it could be a lot of things and if it's just a sensor I will be happy will that. The thing is though I never get a a oil light from it or anything else. My oil filter is primed so I can't imagine it's my pump unless my oil is so bad from sitting al winter that I need to change it. Also I just changed my LIM/UIM to ported ones's and had all the push rods pulled out. I was also wondering if I am not getting enough compression or lift on a lifter or push rod would this cause the sensor to give a code? When I first started it up after doing all the work and upgrades I did get a squeal out it for a little bit but it has gone away since then and hasn't comer back. I have not reset the code since then either.

KhellendrosxS
04-17-2011, 07:00 PM
The pressure sensor is on the 'front' of the motor above the oil filter and trips the light on the dash when pressure drops below 5PSI. At that point engine damage has already resulted. Its highly likely that if youre just getting the code and not the dummy light on the dash the sensor is bad.

G.I.Ceo
04-17-2011, 07:10 PM
^What light does it show on the dash? Is is just a oil light?

KhellendrosxS
04-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Yep, the red 'oil can' light comes on when pressure is below 5PSI. If the engine hasnt gone kabloey then its probably a safe bet that youve got a bad sensor. I put a T fitting on mine and ran a proper oil pressure gauge off of it to the cabin.

You could also rent a pressure gauge tool and unscrew the sensor and check to make sure you have good pressure before you blame the sensor. It may be a pinched wire grounding out somewhere.

G.I.Ceo
04-18-2011, 08:05 AM
I have a Aeroforce gauge that I think will check mine but I know if the sensor is bad then it won't read good on the gauge.

I will look for the wires and see if i can find a pinch or something unplugged.

When you pull the sensor and have still in the motor will it start leaking out oil?

KhellendrosxS
04-18-2011, 07:01 PM
It will leak like a river if you try running the car without the sensor in it. It looks a bit like a fat spark plug. I used vice grips to take mine out back when I did all the work in that area but they make a special socket for it if you want to go that route.

G.I.Ceo
08-17-2011, 02:18 PM
So after months of dealing with this code turning on and off I decided to finally get this squared away.

I pulled the plug off of it to disconnect it and the sensor plug was covered in oil.

There is no oil leaking from the sensor where it is screwed into the block only from the electrical connection that plugs into it.

So I am thinking I need to just replace the sensor.

When you replace this sensor do you need to drain the oil?

My GM book doesn't mention anything about draining the oil to replace it.

AaronGTR
08-17-2011, 06:14 PM
First, it's not really a sensor. It's just a pressure switch. ;) And no, you don't need to drain the oil. Just unscrew it from the block, put some teflon sealant paste on the threads of the new one, and screw it into the block and plug it in.

That DTC code is for a oil pressure switch circuit malfunction. The switch is normally closed when the pressure is below 5psi. The pcm supplies 12v to the switch, and when it's closed the 12v grounds out and activates the "oil pres" light. When the engine starts and pressure goes up, the switch opens and light goes off.

The only things that will ground out the circuit are low oil pressure, a faulty switch, or a damaged wire that is contacting metal somewhere. Faulty switch is most likely. It doesn't set the code if the circuit closes though while the engine is running. It only sets the code if the PCM detects the switch is open (showing oil pressure) while the engine is still off. That's a definitely indicator that the switch is bad. :thumbs:

G.I.Ceo
08-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks for your input again Aaron. I have now got to the point that I try and do a code reset and this one just keeps popping up even with the car not started. I never get the oil light but just the SES light with the 1189 code. I will go out this weekend when I get a chance and replace the switch and be done with it.

bakeredition
12-06-2012, 11:15 PM
First, it's not really a sensor. It's just a pressure switch. ;) And no, you don't need to drain the oil. Just unscrew it from the block, put some teflon sealant paste on the threads of the new one, and screw it into the block and plug it in.

That DTC code is for a oil pressure switch circuit malfunction. The switch is normally closed when the pressure is below 5psi. The pcm supplies 12v to the switch, and when it's closed the 12v grounds out and activates the "oil pres" light. When the engine starts and pressure goes up, the switch opens and light goes off.

The only things that will ground out the circuit are low oil pressure, a faulty switch, or a damaged wire that is contacting metal somewhere. Faulty switch is most likely. It doesn't set the code if the circuit closes though while the engine is running. It only sets the code if the PCM detects the switch is open (showing oil pressure) while the engine is still off. That's a definitely indicator that the switch is bad. :thumbs:

I was reading somewhere that on the 2002 G/A with a 2.2 there is a oil pressure safety switch and in case of an accident and you loose oil pressure is shuts down the fuel pump....I have replace fuel pump, fuel pump relay, ECM, passlock tumbler and sometimes it wont start....cycle the key a couple of times and it will start...Im lost...No codes no lights...where is this switch located? any help would be great.

HOYS
12-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Easy to replace. I ran my car for about two and half years with the code stored in the PCM. (Previous owner installed a real oil pressure sensor in place of the switch) and it didn't do anything bad. I finally programmed the code out.

AaronGTR
12-07-2012, 03:47 PM
I was reading somewhere that on the 2002 G/A with a 2.2 there is a oil pressure safety switch and in case of an accident and you loose oil pressure is shuts down the fuel pump....I have replace fuel pump, fuel pump relay, ECM, passlock tumbler and sometimes it wont start....cycle the key a couple of times and it will start...Im lost...No codes no lights...where is this switch located? any help would be great.

On the 2.2 ecotec, I have no idea. We'll have to wait for someone else to chime in.

I mainly work on the V6's and my factory service manual is only for 2000 with the 2.4L 4 cyl and the 3.4L V6. I have no info on the 2.2L.

bakeredition
12-08-2012, 11:11 PM
On the 2.2 ecotec, I have no idea. We'll have to wait for someone else to chime in.

I mainly work on the V6's and my factory service manual is only for 2000 with the 2.4L 4 cyl and the 3.4L V6. I have no info on the 2.2L.

Well I purchased a used computer on line and they programmed it to my vin, I had to do a relearn on the passlock and so far no codes and it starts everytime, infact it starts faster and runs better than before...bought a used PCM for 59.00 shipped and programmed...everything looks good.....keep my fingers crossed...

thanks for everyones help!:applause:

bakeredition
12-08-2012, 11:13 PM
One more thing...I found out the 2.2 only has a oil pressure switch....the 3.1 has that plus the oil pressure safety switch...