HID Kits? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HID Kits?

GeorgeMaN
04-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Hey there,

Just have a quick question to ask..

I live in Ontario, and I know the laws here can sometimes be strict when it comes to HID's. I really think they'll look sick on my car, and I do alot of night driving so they would come in handy.

I was thinking about getting 8000k's, because I like the little bit of blue you get in them. Now heres my question.

Which ones do I get specifically?
I know my bulb is 9007, and the fogs are 808.

Do I HAVE to get the Bi-Xenon, or can I stick with a single beam?

(Sorry, a bit new to these...)

Thanks.

BattousaiX33
04-22-2011, 04:54 AM
Hey there,

Just have a quick question to ask..

I live in Ontario, and I know the laws here can sometimes be strict when it comes to HID's. I really think they'll look sick on my car, and I do alot of night driving so they would come in handy.

I was thinking about getting 8000k's, because I like the little bit of blue you get in them. Now heres my question.

Which ones do I get specifically?
I know my bulb is 9007, and the fogs are 808.

Do I HAVE to get the Bi-Xenon, or can I stick with a single beam?

(Sorry, a bit new to these...)

Thanks.

if you want to keep your high beams, you need to get the Bi-Xenon kit. a good site is hidny.com also the fogs are 880. another thing are you keeping the drl's or are you disabling them? if your keeping them you need a relay from the the same site i mentioned. here is a link for the relay if you go that route. http://www.hidny.com/product.sc?productId=82&categoryId=21

DrFabulous
04-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Do NOT put HID's in factory housings. The glare will be horrible, and will blind oncoming drivers. If you want HID's, you need projector headlights that will properly focus the beam.

DrFabulous
04-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Examples:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b247/DrFabulous26/thetruth.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b247/DrFabulous26/98GASEHID.jpg

BattousaiX33
04-22-2011, 12:27 PM
*iagree*

for projectors, there are a few options. 1. you can get a set on e-bay. 2. you can do a projector retrofit. here is a site for that as well if you don't want to get e-bay projectors. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

GeorgeMaN
04-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Do NOT put HID's in factory housings. The glare will be horrible, and will blind oncoming drivers. If you want HID's, you need projector headlights that will properly focus the beam.

Yes i'm aware that would happen.

What I was planning on doing was after installing them I was going to tilt the headlights downwards so that they glare more on the road than the oncoming drivers, lol.

But if you think thats a bad idea, then I guess im happy to know I posted for feedback on here first before going through with it.

So in the end, do you recommend I do this?

Or should I just get projectors from eBay?

(I love the retrofit lights, but they are a little to expensive for me. I don't really want to spend $300 at this time)

Thanks for the feedback,
George.

street_fire
04-22-2011, 09:31 PM
I had 6000k in stock housing for 1 yr and i ponited them down so it won`t be so bad for the other drivers. I didn`t get flashed for other drivers that much.

Malaclypse
04-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Yes i'm aware that would happen.

What I was planning on doing was after installing them I was going to tilt the headlights downwards so that they glare more on the road than the oncoming drivers, lol.

But if you think thats a bad idea, then I guess im happy to know I posted for feedback on here first before going through with it.

So in the end, do you recommend I do this?

Or should I just get projectors from eBay?

(I love the retrofit lights, but they are a little to expensive for me. I don't really want to spend $300 at this time)

Thanks for the feedback,
George.

Thanks for being considerate... but you're sacrificing your own safety in that case. You won't be able to see as far.

Go projector/retrofits or stick to halogen.

GeorgeMaN
04-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks for being considerate... but you're sacrificing your own safety in that case. You won't be able to see as far.

Go projector/retrofits or stick to halogen.

Alright, thanks for the tip.

I'll probably end up going with Projectors on eBay, if I can find a nice deal.

Ill post pics when I get em'.

cwolfenberger1
04-25-2011, 08:56 AM
staying on track here, anyone have the HIDs for the black housing clear corners headlights? does it look good or is it still too bright?

>.> new to modding

LT4 trans am
04-27-2011, 06:19 PM
If your doing this for extra light, I would not use 8000K. As the kelvin goes up, the light output goes down. 4300k-5000K being perfect, 6000K is about as high as I would go. 6000K will still have a bluish tint but will put out more light than the 8000K. Everyone has there opinions, so dont take offense...imo 8K and up is for show and the light they put to the ground is worse as far as actual visibility goes than halogens.

A few more recomendations just to save you some headaches. Buy a HID kit with a digital ballast. The amps in a anolog ballast are not always stable and the cheap aftermarket hid bulbs are MUCH less tolerant of spiking than a OEM phillips D2S. When I first stated messing with HID and retrofitting, I learned the hard way, the cheap HID kits are cheap for a reason. The ballasts dont last, the bulbs dont last , the whole system is not very stable not running thru a relay harness(which I highly recommend) . Im not saying all HID kits are junk, but generally the ridiculously cheap ones are. The last HID kit I purchased used( I think it was VisionPro if I remember right) waterproof digital ballasts and came with a weatherproof relay harness, high quality bulbs. At $200 it wasnt cheap though.

If youd like to hold off a bit and retro in some real bi-Xenon projectors( and get more light than the stock lights with HID could ever hope for and have HID high beams), check out Morimoto's on the retrofit sources website. Major bang for buck and the whole system is cheap@ $300 . Im not trying to sway you either direction, its your choice and your money....Im just trying to point out sometimes the cheapest option may be appealing on the surface, but may cost you more in the long run. Do your homework as about 50% of the HID aftermarket is junk.