2002 Alero 3400: Stalled, No start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Alero 3400: Stalled, No start

RivMan
04-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Hey guys,

My Fiance's Alero died on her today, and I figured I'd throw a post up looking for some ideas.

She was accelerating from a stop, and felt the engine stumble, and then it stalled.

It will crank fine, and I can hear it stumble and try to start, but instantly stall. If it was a GTP, I'd call it a fuel pump resistor, but I don't think the Aleros have one.

I primed the fuel pump a couple of times, and there was a lot of pressure at the fuel rail.

When it stumbles for a half second trying to start, it smells kind of like burning coolant. I would think that if it was a head gasket I would be able to get it to fire up and run, right?

The security light is not blinking, and I didn't have enough time on the side of the road to do the re-learn. Would that cause this issue?

Thanks for any advice
-Rob

HOYS
04-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Any codes?

RivMan
04-23-2011, 05:40 PM
No codes.

Just got home, and am messing with it again. It seems to have no fuel pressure now. Plugs are dry, and no pressure at the rail. Swapped relays and no change. I think I've got a fuel pump problem. Is there an access panel in the trunk, or do I have to drop the tank?

mfuller
04-23-2011, 07:39 PM
You have to drop the tank.

cutlsp
04-23-2011, 07:59 PM
I'd take a look at the fuel pressure regulator. If you can hear the fuel pump running and priming I would look at the regulator first.

SevereDevil
04-24-2011, 08:21 AM
**** dropping the tank! unless its no hassle. pull out the back seat. there a X indented in the metal. take a sawzaw and cut that bitch out. instant access to the fuel pump. throw a peice of sheet metal over it when done.

Malaclypse
04-24-2011, 10:14 AM
OP: You're more than likely looking at a fuel pump.

Y2KGA
04-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Check the fuel filter first. Chances are the filter is clogged and it cooked the pump. If your lucky its just the filter. The fuel pressure regulators are infamous for leaking but it probably wouldn't cause a no start. Also make sure that there is gas in the tank, the gauges isn't always accurate.

RivMan
04-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Problem solved, it was the fuel pump. Tossed a new fuel filter in there for good measure. Thanks guys!

-Rob

Pauljp
04-30-2011, 08:31 AM
How did you change the pump?
Did you have to drop the tank?