tune up questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : tune up questions

pontiacgt05
04-30-2011, 03:43 PM
So this is my first car and it just hit the 100k mark a little bit ago. It is definately time for a good tune up because I know it is not running as well as it could. So my question is what all should i do/ replace at this point. Im going to try and do everything my self.
Ive already done spark plugs and wires, replaced the iac valve, and cleaned the maf. What else needs to be done? Thanks in advance

[ChaosweaveR]
04-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Switch out the fuel filter, clean/replace the air filter, run seafoam through the EGR/vacuum system, oil change.

Check to see if the coolant, power steering and brake fluid look contaminated, and have those flushed out.

A power steering flush can easily be done yourself with a good siphon.

pontiacgt05
04-30-2011, 04:42 PM
okay well ive already done all that except the fuel filter. ill check all the fluids but im sure there fine. ive heard something about replacing the valve lifter springs? they tend to start floating around 100k?

AaronGTR
05-01-2011, 09:30 AM
you don't need to replace the valve lifter springs. The valve springs themselves can start to get weak with age, but it's not something you'll notice on a mostly stock engine and it's not significant enough to be worth tearing the engine apart to replace them unless there is something else wrong.

Even if the other fluids look ok, they should still replaced if they are over a certain age. Coolant is only good for 5 years or 100k miles. After that the anti corrosive and lubricating agents in it stop working as well. Brake fluid is only good for 3 year tops. It absorbs dirt and moisture. If left in too long it will start to rust your brake lines from the inside, and if the brakes get too hot the fluid will boil and your brake will go soft. You should still do a coolant flush and have the brakes bled to replace the fluid.

Pretty much same thing for the trans. If the fluid hasn't been changed and it's got 100k on it, then it needs to be replaced. Don 't have it flushed. Just drain it, change the filter, and refile with new fluid.

pontiacgt05
05-01-2011, 10:33 AM
okay well im in good shape then. I got my coolant replaced when i had a leak in my radiator, and new trans fluid and filter when i took it to aamco to look at my transmission. Ill definately need to do the brake fluid thogh. thanks for the help!

pontiacgt05
05-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Ive researched how to bleed the brake lines and it seems that it cannot be done without a scan tool because of the ABS? Is that true? If so would any shop do this?

WidbyJ
05-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Basic bleeding of the brakes works fine without special tools as long as your ABS is not messed up.

If you want to completely flush the system, to move to better fluid for example, then an activator (scan type tool) is required to cycle the pumps.

AaronGTR
05-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Not so. The ABS solenoid only needs to be cycled if there is air in the system, ie from the master cylinder getting too low or from disconnecting one of the lines in the engine bay.

If there is not air in the system, you can bleed the brakes normally at the calipers and it will move fluid through the entire system. You just need someone to help, to push the pedal while you work the bleeder screws, or you need a vacuum assist device (pressure bleeder). You just have to watch for clean fluid coming through the caliper, and bleed enough fluid through to swap out most of the fluid in the ABS unit, master cylinder, and reservoir.

BTW, even if you get air in the ABS unit, there is still a way to bleed it without a tech2. The solenoids cycle every time you start the car. You can bleed the air out by repeatedly starting the engine and letting them cycle, then turning it off and bleeding in between. It takes some time, but it works. I've done it myself.

pontiacgt05
05-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Okay thanks. Ill do some more research on excactly how to do it and try to do it.