coolant "blowing out" every once in a while? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : coolant "blowing out" every once in a while?

91lespaul
05-02-2011, 05:59 AM
It's my daughter's 99 GT. A couple weeks ago my daughter's car overheated on her. She said the temp light cam, she immediately pulled over. I drove down with some jugs of water and new coolant. Filled the resevoir up, started it and topped off.

We drove about 3 miles, and same thing happened, well stopped before it redlined. At that point we left it, and had the garage go get it the next day. It had looked to me that maybe it was the water pump where the leak was, but honestly there was liquid everywhere so it was hard to distinguish.

Garage had the car for a few days, pressure tested and no leaks. They did replace the radiator cap because it was apparently cracked. I had them keep it another day. They let it run for about an hour, no leaks. So good to go, right?

Last night daughter called from the movies. Car did the same thing (maybe). She said she parked, smelled something and heard hissing. She called saying "green stuff all under the car". So, I'm going over this morning to look, but has anyone else had this "intermitent" overflow happen?

91lespaul
05-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Ok, so I just went and got my daughter's car. It took about half a gallon of coolant into resevoir. It's about a 10 mile trip. Car ran fine the whole way, right at 200 degrees.

She had said that they sat in the parking lot (Movie Theatre) for about 10 minutes, engine idling, since they were a bit early. That's when she heard "gurgling" then noticed "green stuff" (her words) coming out.

So, I brought the car home, left it idling, and about 10 minutes later, "gurgling" and antifreeze venting out of the tube.

So any ideas? It has a new Radiator cap, new Resevoir cap, and the garage had it pressurized last week and found no leaks or loss of pressure.

icecats87
05-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Ok, so I just went and got my daughter's car. It took about half a gallon of coolant into resevoir. It's about a 10 mile trip. Car ran fine the whole way, right at 200 degrees.

She had said that they sat in the parking lot (Movie Theatre) for about 10 minutes, engine idling, since they were a bit early. That's when she heard "gurgling" then noticed "green stuff" (her words) coming out.

So, I brought the car home, left it idling, and about 10 minutes later, "gurgling" and antifreeze venting out of the tube.

So any ideas? It has a new Radiator cap, new Resevoir cap, and the garage had it pressurized last week and found no leaks or loss of pressure.

Its a 3.4L? for my car i only have a reservoir cap, no radiator cap. and is it shooting out of the overflow hose? to me this sounds like a bad pressure cap, happened to me when i first bought my car

91lespaul
05-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Yep, 3.4L.

Is the overflow hose kind of under the passenger wheel-well? That's where it appears to be coming from.

Question on the resevoir cap. Should it be such a PIA to get on? Bought a brand new one, and it also "wants" to thread on crooked. Takes some effort to get it on straight, but I did and it is snug.

icecats87
05-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Yep, 3.4L.

Is the overflow hose kind of under the passenger wheel-well? That's where it appears to be coming from.

Question on the resevoir cap. Should it be such a PIA to get on? Bought a brand new one, and it also "wants" to thread on crooked. Takes some effort to get it on straight, but I did and it is snug.

The pressure cap (reservoir cap) also doesn't like to go on for me, i usually press it down with my palm while threading it on, you said you bought a new one? and has the car sputtered out anymore coolant? it seems that the cap isnt hold pressure, make sure you have a brand new one and make sure it goes on the right way.

Just took a picture this is the overflow hose
http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y336/dvero1727/IMG_8092.jpg?t=1304365510

FuriousG
05-02-2011, 02:02 PM
I've got a '99 that's doing the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's the thermostat that's not opening consistently and it causes it to overheat and boil out the coolant through the overflow.

I'll be replacing the thermostat later this week hopefully and then topping off the coolant again to see if that fixes it. I've also put a new coolant cap on but between my '03 and this '99 I've replaced coolant caps at least 5 times and it's never made much difference.

zukiracer19
05-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Mine did this when thermostat took a ****... pain in ass to change when a turbo sits right above it along with temp sheild

cwolfenberger1
05-02-2011, 02:51 PM
It could also be the fan not kicking on, might wanna check that. When idling it should run up to about 210 - 215 on the gauge. Then if you keep watching the gauge, it will go down to 200 again on its own. That's the thermostat opening up. After that it will start to heat up again, once it gets to about 220 the second time it should start going down again. That's the engine fan kicking on. This could help you determine what is going on.

91lespaul
05-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks. I was wondering about the thermostat and fan. Thermostat looks like a pain to get to.

zukiracer19
05-02-2011, 04:00 PM
if i remember correctly there is a bolt that goes on the head too... its like a slotted peice, dont forget to tighten that up...

zukiracer19
05-02-2011, 04:00 PM
and usually if its the thermostat, it will stick too? does she notice it staying really cold also? or just overheating?

hahano404
05-02-2011, 04:02 PM
t stat is easy. make sure u dont put in bass akwards.

and suprised no 1 said ne thing bout there bein green coolant...... get dat shiz out of there. dexcool ONLY

whiteGT99
05-02-2011, 05:09 PM
i have this same problem, my car runs fine while driving but on a hot day and if i sit at a red light, it starts getting hot then starts coming out the overflow hose

i replaced the tstat, and cap and still does it

the next thing i am going to replace is the resevoir itself, water pump and then if all else fails the radiator

my tank does not hold pressure, i can open the cap at running temp and absolutly no press whatsoever

icecats87
05-02-2011, 05:15 PM
t stat is easy. make sure u dont put in bass akwards.

and suprised no 1 said ne thing bout there bein green coolant...... get dat shiz out of there. dexcool ONLY

Mines green and i have napa brand

cwolfenberger1
05-03-2011, 07:56 AM
lol, I have green o'riley's brand in mine.. Better than the crap that was in there before, I emptied it all out because it was NASTY... Previous owner just put water in it.......

02GT_SkyHigh
05-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Nothing wrong with the green stuff.
Do a search and find out for yourself.
Oh and the thermostat dosent fit in backwards....

As far as the overheating. I have had several of the problems you listed. and 3 times it was a cracked coolant tank. the car got up to pressure and then it started to hiss and gurgle. It appeared to me also as the Tank cap, but where it was leaking made it look like it was coming out of the overflow hose..

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84962

hahano404
05-03-2011, 12:13 PM
nothing wrong? I have none of the problems above. out

02GT_SkyHigh
05-03-2011, 01:49 PM
nothing wrong? I have none of the problems above. out

I dont run green stuff but I am going to after I put on 3500 heads.

Great contribution to this thread.

hahano404
05-03-2011, 02:01 PM

91lespaul
05-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Took the GT out for a spin. Watched temp guage go ~3 clicks above 200, then drop to a tick or two below. Thermostat kicked in. Came home and let it idle for about 15 minutes. Didn't get any blowout the hose this time until I turned the car off, then got just a little bit. FYI, yesterday when I let it idle for about 10 minutes it started "gurgling" out. I did drive it about 10 miles farther yesterday, so not sure if that makes a difference.

What I did notice this time was that neither fan came on at all. From what others had posted they should have been on low speed, then kicked on higher whhile idling. Someone had also mentioned that the fans would come on when the AC was turned on. So I tried that and they still did not come on. Checked the fuse for Fan #1 and it appears good.

Any thoughts? Engine temp sensor? Anyone got a pic of where that is at. Also, temp guage never got above 200 while idling.

cwolfenberger1
05-03-2011, 05:42 PM
It could just be that the hose isn't tight enough.. Maybe the pressure is just "pushing" some of the coolant out. Possibly replacing that hose may resolve your issue. Keep us up to date!

91lespaul
05-04-2011, 04:26 AM
Which hose might be loose? Also, what about the fans not kicking on?

Thanks

cwolfenberger1
05-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Didn't see your post about that fan not running, maybe it needs replaced or a connector is bad/dirty. If the fan doesn't run then it will overheat when idling (obviously lol). It would be hard to say what could be loose though, feel around for any wetness around the hose ends.. Not a guarantee that it's a hose, just another idea to check. My top radiator hose was leaking, I got it replaced and everything is good now.

cwolfenberger1
05-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Also, check out this thread http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79064

91lespaul
05-04-2011, 08:15 AM
So, I noticed there are 2 fans. Checked fuse panel, it appears there is one 30A fuse for fan#1, then a relay for fan#2.

It appears by napaonline.com that each fan has it's own motor. Is fan#2 a "slave" to fan#1? Like I said in previous post, 30A fuse is good. I'll check for voltage at the fan motor this evening, hopefully.

Thanks

91lespaul
05-04-2011, 06:00 PM
So the more I read on this subject I'm convinced it's an air pocket. Is there a special tool or trick to opening the bleeder valve? I "assume" it's just the top silver part that I'm suppose to turn. Can't find a wrench or socket that fits. It also seems a weird shape, hexxagonish but a little rounded. Doesn't look like it was actually rounded off, just not a uniform shape of a nut. Then I thought well maybe it's the bottom 5/8' nut that turns. There are 2 of them, so I put two wrenches on and tried to loosen (putting force opposite directions). It seems that the line is going to crimp before it loosens.

skifreak122
05-05-2011, 07:20 AM
The bleeder screw is the top brass piece on the left side of the engine, in front of the front valve cover. When you go to tighten it back up, don't overtighten since it is a softer metal.

91lespaul
05-06-2011, 06:23 AM
OK, yep I had the refrigerant refill. I know, dumba$$.

Anyway, I just opened the "correct" bleeder. OPened it up, and it seemed to flow liquid from the start. Only for a second, then nothing. Should it continue to flow?

Engine was cold. I had read in another thread to bleed when engine was cold. Am I done?