I could have sworn I had a GT but its an SE1? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : I could have sworn I had a GT but its an SE1?

mds33200
05-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Hi my car was totaled, and I spoke with the adjustor today and he said its listed as an SE1 (then he said he doesnt know what the difference would be between an SE and an SE1). But I told him mine was a GT and he said they are going to send someone out to check it. So I was looking at my title tonight and I do see it is listed as an SE1.

It had the following options:
- 3.4 L
- 16" chrome rims
- sun roof
- rear spoiler
- 6 cyl.

I did LOTS of searching before I posted this, and now I am only more confused.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2004-pontiac-grand-am-4dr-sdn-se1-techspecs.htm

That site says SE1 models are 2.2L, but mine is definitly a 3.4 L. It also says SE1 models are 4 cyl, I know mine is a 6 cyl. I also saw that 15 inch wheels are often used with the SE1, but mine has 16" wheels. So all that leads me to believe it may be a GT, however the following contradicts that: I heard the GT will say something like "air ram" under the hood on the black plate. I do not remember seeing that on my car. Also I looked at the 4th and 5th digits of the VIN and they are NF which is suposed to mean it is an SE1.

Plus if I remember right my car has a sticker price of arround 22K if I remember correctly. MSRP prices for the SE1 are arround 19K.

So I am not sure if its an upgraded SE1 or if its really a GT. Any ideas?
PS I will attach a photo of the car as well (or whats left of it rather)

cutlsp
05-04-2011, 10:12 PM
i think its an SE2 at least thats what mine is on its title.

SC/T02
05-04-2011, 10:13 PM
If it did not have the slit style front bumper but had a honeycomb grille up front then its an SE. If it did not have the body side cladding then its a late modle SE. If it only had exhaust on 1 side then its an SE. If it did not say Ram air on the intake under the hood or under the V6 badges on the sides then its an SE. The list goes on. You had a top of the line SE which has 5 fewer HP then the GT but pretty similar car otherwise.

gilzgrandam00
05-04-2011, 10:21 PM
dang man u ok that hurts me to see a GA smashed up, but people will have a fun time takin parts off that car if it goes to a junker, but anyhow I have a SE1 too but no sunroof or 16" wheels i think it has to do with the years, i think they changed somethings over the years cause there some gt without sunroofs with a 4 banger and some with a 6 but who knows GM all messed up now..

unchained_01
05-04-2011, 10:33 PM
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2003-pontiac-grand-am.htm Read the specs and yours is a se1 od se2
Listed right on the title sir

bricooper78
05-04-2011, 10:59 PM
there are parts that can be changed man, without the side cladding, it's not a GT. we have an SE running around here with an sc/t wing on the back.

but uh, more on topic...what the hell happened to that poor thing??

cutlsp
05-04-2011, 11:44 PM
My SE2 has the SC/T spoiler on it lol my older brother got it off a totaled SC/T that was black at the dealership he bought it from. lol So yes there is at least one SE2 with the SC/T spoiler lol

bricooper78
05-05-2011, 12:54 AM
make that 2 lol this one is the 2 i think, even has the gt rims ... i just noticed the wing today, she's had the car for 3 years now!!

mds33200
05-05-2011, 07:19 AM
but uh, more on topic...what the hell happened to that poor thing??

hmm, fender bender I guess you can call it :D

The front view is the worse, ill post a view from 3 angles below
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/mds33200/DSC01255.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/mds33200/DSC01252.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/mds33200/DSC01250.jpg

I was heading into a T intersection (I had the right of way since I was not making any turns) and some lady stopped at the intersection (cus she wanted to turn). I presumed she was going to wait till I passed her but she decided to pull out at the last second, right infront of me. I ended up hitting her pasenger side wheel.

I never seen anything like it before, she tried to drive a few feet foward after the impact just to clear the road and when she pulled foward, the wheel that I hit on her veichle was not even spinning (3 were spinning, the one I hit was locked in place and was dragging). She drove the car foward about 10 feet like that and it was still locked up.

oldschoolguy
05-05-2011, 11:26 AM
holly ****e. Thats pretty bad. Was that on a fast road, because that doesn't look like 20 mph damage

IanGT99
05-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but that is most certainly not a GT, bud. Bumpers, side skirts and badges tell me it's an SE. Beyond that, I'm not even sure it's an '03. IIRC, the sunroof wasn't an option on the SE1 and SE2 until 2004. Only your title would be able to tell you for sure.

street_fire
05-05-2011, 11:48 AM
och that would hurt a bit

bricooper78
05-05-2011, 01:36 PM
well glad you weren't hurt. dayum.

cutlsp
05-05-2011, 06:34 PM
make that 2 lol this one is the 2 i think, even has the gt rims ... i just noticed the wing today, she's had the car for 3 years now!!

Mine actually came with the chrometech wheels from the factory. The rear spoiler i'm not sure about the totaled SC/T story is what my older brother told me. He was the original owner of the car well him and his wife. It is a very nice car but needs minor repairs now lol By minor I mean mechanical and it has a few paint issues I know nothing about fixing paint ;crap I have had the car for about 3 years too lol

Glad your ok after that sort of wreck man it could be worse.

Y2KGA
05-05-2011, 09:29 PM
GM Vincards are listed on this site. This is the best way to determine the exact model of your car.

http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/

Glad your ok after a crash like that....

mds33200
05-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Well thanks everyone for all that info. Yeah I guess I was lucky (then again if I was REALLY lucky I wouldnít have crashed!) but luckily I walked away from the accident in one piece. I was going around 35 MPH.

I did have an aftermarket front fender so I am not sure if thatís why it crumbled so much (not sure if OEM is stronger material) but it was also pretty cold outside as well (below 32) so I am sure that factor didnít help much ether.

IanGT99- sorry I should have posted it above but just as a side note it is a 2004 so that would explain the sunroof.

Speaking of the sunroof, if it wasnít for that I would have also lost my cell phone. After the accident I made a phone call then I hung up and went to take all the stuff out of the car. I put my cell phone on my roof of the car (against the sunroof) and was going to grab it once I took all my belongings out of the car (dumb- I should have just put it in my pocket). A cop gave me a ride back to work and just as he pulled out of my lot I realized I didnít have my phone on me. By time I was able to get a ride back to the scene the car was gone (towed). The next day I went to the storage lot hoping I would have somehow left my phone in my car, but I found the phone on the roof of the car still jammed between the sunroof frame (which popped open upon impact). The phone didnít even fall out during the tow!

zukiracer19
05-10-2011, 02:58 PM
I didn't know SE's came with sun roofs? looks like a GT to me.

Tonyyank
05-10-2011, 03:34 PM
I didn't know SE's came with sun roofs? looks like a GT to me.

nope SE, front bumper tells the story

zukiracer19
05-10-2011, 05:32 PM
and the mirrors, but i didnt think se's had sun roofs.

GrandAmMe
05-10-2011, 06:39 PM

Come on now. I thought the chrome V6 badges, no body moulding and front bumper was a pure give away. GT's came with mickey mouse and dual-post style mirrors.

IanGT99
05-11-2011, 11:32 AM

It was an option on 2004 and early 2005 SE1 and SE2 models.

GrandAmGTTT
05-11-2011, 12:03 PM
you don't have the gt body

Tonyyank
05-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Its a se