Where the hell is the radiator cap! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell is the radiator cap!

91lespaul
05-13-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm assuming there actually is not a "radiator" cap on a 99 Grand Am GT, only a resevoir cap?

My daughter's car had issues with coolant blowing out the overflow. I put a new resevoir cap on, since when I took the original off it did not seem to go back on correctly. Car ran fine for about a week then did it again. When I took the resevoir cap off, the bottom part stayed in the tank. I had read on hear how important the seal was, so I bought another, and bled the system. Car ran fine for another week, including a 100 mile round trip. Then yesterday after a 10 mile ride, spit everything out the overflow again.

I'm beginning to HATE this car! I keep seeing references to the "radiator" cap, but do not actually see one. Are people using "radiator" and "resevoir" to mean the same thing?

lightningGA
05-13-2011, 01:03 PM
You are correct...there is NOT a radiator cap, just the reservoir cap.

AaronGTR
05-13-2011, 07:22 PM
The reservoir itself could be warped or the threads might be mangled. You might need to replace the actual tank. There are other reasons for venting too. Air not all bled out, stuck thermostat, bad water pump, bad head gaskets. Check the tank and the thermostat first since they are cheap and easier to get to.

91lespaul
05-14-2011, 01:26 PM
just picked up resevoir tank, we'll see how that goes

westerndragon
05-15-2011, 08:35 AM
welcome to the world of GA this will be the first of many "small issues" ROFL