security and high idle have returned [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : security and high idle have returned

350rs
05-13-2011, 09:45 PM
my security light flashing and my high idle have both returned kinda all of the sudden and both really close together. literally within days. after months of great reliability, these problems remind me that it is indeed the same grand am.

my question is could it be the computer forgetting its settings on both? the ignition cylinder is new a few years ago. and its not cause i have a lot of keys on it. i have 3 keys and the fab. the high idle, who knows. but both can be temp. corrected by the "relearns" for each. but its a large problem when the security kicks in and i just strapped the kid in the seat with 80+ degree days. 10 mins in the sun makes her sweat a lot and thats no bueno in my book and needs to be fixed.

So again the only thing that i can think of really without putting a ton of thought into it is that the computer is forgetting these "settings" and just throwing something out there. What yall think?

IF it is the computer.. where might a person be able to snag one cheap thats NEW. i dont want a junkyard computer as its prolly gonna have the same problem. I know local auto parts places can get them but its soo damn expensive.

Y2KGA
05-14-2011, 04:14 PM
my security light flashing and my high idle have both returned kinda all of the sudden and both really close together. literally within days. after months of great reliability, these problems remind me that it is indeed the same grand am.

my question is could it be the computer forgetting its settings on both? the ignition cylinder is new a few years ago. and its not cause i have a lot of keys on it. i have 3 keys and the fab. the high idle, who knows. but both can be temp. corrected by the "relearns" for each. but its a large problem when the security kicks in and i just strapped the kid in the seat with 80+ degree days. 10 mins in the sun makes her sweat a lot and thats no bueno in my book and needs to be fixed.

So again the only thing that i can think of really without putting a ton of thought into it is that the computer is forgetting these "settings" and just throwing something out there. What yall think?

IF it is the computer.. where might a person be able to snag one cheap thats NEW. i dont want a junkyard computer as its prolly gonna have the same problem. I know local auto parts places can get them but its soo damn expensive.

The security system is probably acting up because of tarnish on the pins caused by humidity. You can easily fix the problem by removing and replacing the switch a few times. This will scrape off the tarnish and give you a better connection. If the key turns smoothly, DO NOT buy a new switch. Do a search for instructions on how to remove the switch. The whole process should take you less than a half hour. I can sent you instructions if you want.

I doubt the high idle is related to the security problem. The security system is controlled by a different module then the PCM. Make sure your battery is OK as that can cause strange problems to occur.

westerndragon
05-15-2011, 07:34 AM
New TPS, they crap out real easy and its not uncommon to get a defective one