Tire Rub [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tire Rub

03GAGTdriver
05-16-2011, 09:15 PM
I have a 2003 GA GT sedan with the factory size tires 225 50 16 tires. I do have new rims but they have been on the car for about 3 years now with no problem. Only in the past month i have noticed that the driver side tire has been rubbing the strut plate which is causing wear on the inside of my tire. The passenger side is doing the same but seems to be not as prominate. Front end has been checked by 2 different garages with everything being good and a wheel alignment done also but again all good. I need some help here. Can't be eating my tires up like this. What might be causing this?? Air pressure is good in all tires also.

speedfreak1
05-16-2011, 09:24 PM
all the tires are the same size?

burgett2103
05-16-2011, 09:37 PM
struts going bad? but then again I don't think that would really lower the strut plate to hit your tire. have you recently put on a strut tower brace or loosened your struts? try tightening the strut tower nuts/bolts.

AaronGTR
05-17-2011, 05:22 AM
Even if the struts were bad or the springs where sagging, that wouldn't make the tire come closer to the lower spring plate. That is part of the strut body which attached to the hub, so it doesn't move relative to the tire. That is a very odd problem to have, especially with stock size tires. The only possible explanation I can think of is that your wheel offset is way wrong, and that it's been that way for a long time and you just didn't notice before. Anything else that would make it do that would be a major problem that would affect how the car drives and one of the shops would have found something.

03GAGTdriver
05-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Ya i'm totally confused about this. I was thinking the same thing about the offset being off. I'm gonna have to check that out. Yes all tires are factory size. The struts and springs were replaced about 2 years ago now. Checked the ride height on both sides and they are the same also.

03GAGTdriver
05-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Ok update to this. Doent seem to be tire rub. Information that was told to me by the garage was wrong. I checked the car myself finally and looks to me to be road grime and what not. So was lead to believe something that wasnt true. I still have tire wear on the inside of my tires and a lot of road noise when i drive. It soesnt seem to be a wheel bearing i have checked myself this time and also I am noticing more and more that the car is getting dificult to handle on rutted roads unlike before. It seems to be all over the road. Again, wheel alignment was done and was perfect, and no front end problems. Checked all air pressures in all tires and they are good. At the end of my rope with this. Can't get any satisfaction with the garages around here and i can't find it myself. Can someone lead me in a direction to go. Anything.

burgett2103
05-21-2011, 07:48 PM
well this had stumped me. I cannot think of anything else other than what's already been said/suggested.

03GAGTdriver
05-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I'm gonna have to make an appt at gm to get it checked.