Electrical Help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Help

Matt
05-18-2011, 08:49 PM
I searched up and down for a similar problem but no luck, so here goes...hopefully someone has a better idea on what might be the problem. I suspect a relay may be going bad, but at this point who knows. I'll list the symptoms.

Car (stock 99 SE V6 with 85K miles) runs like a champ and drives perfectly, however, from time to time when I drive, my speedo/tach/gas/temp gauges go out, and then cycle all the way to the right, then back to where they should normally be (like when the car starts) and then is fine. Sometimes this even happens when I first start the car, but after a minute or so everything kicks on fine. Here's what works/doesn't work:

- Speedo cluster doesn't work (including the odometer)
- Fan doesn't work (or A/C and rear defrost for that matter)
- Power windows don't work
- Cruise control doesn't work

- Radio works
- Steering wheel radio controls work
- All lights seem to work on the dash
- Turn signals on the speedo cluster work fine
- Wiper stalk works
- Headlights/fogs work

Again, eventually everything will kick on and be just fine. On occasion, my SES light will come on right when I start, but the codes on my OBD-II tool seem to be very random and when I reset the SES light, it usually stays off for days.

Anyone have any idea from those symptoms if there's a particular relay that might control just those things?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

dbarber1825
04-12-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm having the same issues as you listed above. I hope that someone gives a fix for this.

rjs_boy
09-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Starting to have the same problem also.

No pattern that I have noticed yet.

I'm wondering if it is a BCM going bad, but I don't know what all the BCM controls.

Same list of things that work, and things that don't.

It's quite alarming when you are doing 65 on the interstate and the gauges and all just reset, and the fan stops running, even if for just a few seconds.