Trans cooler install, and gauge install [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Trans cooler install, and gauge install

icecats87
05-21-2011, 01:17 AM
I bought a trans temp and oil temp gauge off a member on here, and was wondering how exactly i install the trans temp one, ive read the how to on here but i do not see the line pressure test plug anywhere, is it right where the 2 lines come out of tranny to radiator? i have a extra tranny in my garage so im trying to find it on that before.

Second question how would i go installing the oil temp gauge? in the future im getting a oil pressure as well, and going to buy a T fitting to use the oil pressure switch and oil pressure gauge, so how do i go about installing the oil temp

Last im going to buy a trans cooler. ive been reading all the threads and can not find any pictures, and do i cut the trans line (bottom from radiator) then get one tube from trans cooler to that, then the other tube from cooler connect back to where i cut the trans line? if anyone has pictures of how they did the tubes that would be great

Thanks!

icecats87
05-21-2011, 01:22 AM
Okay found the plug for the trans temp gauge install its like right under the lines that go to the radiator, still need some assistants on the trans cooler and oil temp

AaronGTR
05-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Did you actually read the how too? It's all in there. The bottom line going into the trans is the return line and that's the one you use. Cut the rubber line somewhere in the middle, get a couple brass hose splices and a bunch of hose clamps and some more rubber hose. Mount the cooler where you want it and connect both ends to either end of the hose you are splicing into. Doesn't matter which side goes to which, the fluid is just going through the cooler. You are basically inserting it into the return line and completing a circuit.

icecats87
05-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Did you actually read the how too? It's all in there. The bottom line going into the trans is the return line and that's the one you use. Cut the rubber line somewhere in the middle, get a couple brass hose splices and a bunch of hose clamps and some more rubber hose. Mount the cooler where you want it and connect both ends to either end of the hose you are splicing into. Doesn't matter which side goes to which, the fluid is just going through the cooler. You are basically inserting it into the return line and completing a circuit.

Okay thats what i was thinking i was just making sure, and for the oil temp gauge what should i do? how should i go on installing it

AaronGTR
05-21-2011, 10:00 AM
I installed mine in a port on the lines to my oil cooler. If you don't have an oil cooler then it's a little more complicated. Easiest thing to do would be put it where the factory pressure switch is. Problem is some years will throw a code if you do that, and also since the oil isn't circulating you won't get a good temp reading. Best thing would be to put it in an adapter between the block and the oil filter, but if you are going to do that then you might as well get the oil filter relocation kit. It will allow you to install any oil temp/pressure sensors you want and it makes doing oil changes a snap too.

icecats87
05-21-2011, 10:09 AM
I installed mine in a port on the lines to my oil cooler. If you don't have an oil cooler then it's a little more complicated. Easiest thing to do would be put it where the factory pressure switch is. Problem is some years will throw a code if you do that, and also since the oil isn't circulating you won't get a good temp reading. Best thing would be to put it in an adapter between the block and the oil filter, but if you are going to do that then you might as well get the oil filter relocation kit. It will allow you to install any oil temp/pressure sensors you want and it makes doing oil changes a snap too.

okay when i did some work on my car the wire ripped out of the oil pressure switch and i haven't fixed it yet. no engine light, but only when i hooked a snap on scan tool, i was thinking of gettign a T-fitting and putting the oil pressure and oil temp on it, i was thinking if i had the oil pressure gauge i would know if my pressure was to low right?

icecats87
05-21-2011, 10:29 AM
so i just looked and found a oil relocation kit, looks fairly easy to install, do you have one aaron on your car? if so where did you mount the new location of the filter? and if i did get this how would i install the temp and pressure gauge into it?