Passing on my good fortune. CHEAP parts online, almost too cheap!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Passing on my good fortune. CHEAP parts online, almost too cheap!!

sugar ray
05-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Just wanted to pass this a long to you guys. When I stumbled on them and saw the prices I kind of thought, "what is the catch, this stuff is like 70% cheaper then the quotes I am getting locally for parts!" They just sell regular maintenance stuff. no high performance goodies.

USA> http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/
CANADA>http://www.primechoiceautoparts.ca

I placed an order for 2 new lower ball joints, 2 new front struts, rotors and pads.

Ordered arrived Friday. parts made in the USA. I do agree that you usually get what you pay for but when my local store quotes me $95 for ONE strut and these guys can sell me almost 3 for that price I took the chance!!

Will install tomorrow and post my findings. In both Canada and USA it is free UPS shipping on orders over $35. SO if you can wait 3-4 days for your parts they are the way to go with a budget in mind. Of course if you absolutely need something today (aka:starter) then your probably going local.

anyone else use these guys?? if so, were you satisfied with the parts??

02GT_SkyHigh
05-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Good find. im browsing it now

SuburbGT
05-23-2011, 10:01 PM
i wouldn't put any of that stuff on my car.

AaronGTR
05-24-2011, 04:03 PM
I would only use that off brand crap if I had a car I didn't care about and was just trying to keep running for as cheap as possible. Kinda like my grand prix. lol

MKEGuy
05-24-2011, 07:54 PM
I gotta say I'm thinking of ordering a set of rotors and ceramic pads off of there just because I want to do a corvette brake upgrade, but also need some new pads now. So at least this would get it done on the cheap and I dont have to be pissed I'm tossing out perfectly good parts... at least they were cheap!

sugar ray
05-24-2011, 11:57 PM
I installed my parts today. Drove about 100 km's. So far so good!! :applause:

yes I am sure the better name brands are nicer quality. Our Grand-Am is our daily driver. I am fairly persistent on routine maintenance. If I get a year out of the stuff, so be it. I have limited options as far as parts in my area. Besides the dealership our only local store is a place named "Lordco" Anyone in BC Canada will know what I am talking about when I say "there mark up is ridiculous!!" When I did my LIM gasket they quoted me $285 for Felpro's LIM gasket. That was NO kit just the LIM gasket itself. For half that price I got the exact same felpro gasket as an entire kit (heads,lim,etc..) on ebay.

So no, I probably would not install these parts on your modified high performance GT. BUT.....for our daily cruiser and trips to the grocery store. They do just fine!!

AaronGTR
05-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Doesn't matter if it's highly modified or not. Even if the car was in good shape I wouldn't use those kind of parts if I cared at all about the car or wanted things to last. Trust me, I know what I am talking about. I've seen the difference between OEM parts, or even quality aftermarket parts, and cheap stuff.

MKEGuy
05-27-2011, 06:27 AM
No one is arguing the fact you know what you are talking about. Doesn't mean the stuff is complete junk though. You are assuming that much.

cutlsp
05-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Ever hear the saying you get what you pay for? I wouldn't buy anything off that website. The cheapest parts I will go for are off http://www.rockauto.com sure they have points where they do not say the make of the parts. However most of the time they do say who makes the parts they sell.

MKEGuy
05-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Ever hear about the fact a lot of parts are made in the same place, on the same assembly line with a different sticker slapped on it or painted a different color or just put in a different box?

cutlsp
05-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Ever hear about the fact a lot of parts are made in the same place, on the same assembly line with a different sticker slapped on it or painted a different color or just put in a different box?

Right and thats why the parts all look just a little bit different? Seriously the parts that come off that website i'm sure will eventually fail. That website also looks like one of those fly by night places. Meaning when enough of the parts they sold fail or end up killing someone they shut it down and go into hiding. Rockauto.com has been around for a few years and their parts are reliable. This website you have no idea who made what you are getting. So rather then buy from "manufacturer direct" I would buy from a parts store or Rockauto so I know I have a valid warranty. This website seems like the kind of website that only stocks parts for cars under 15 years old as well. Good luck making your car last if you buy parts from this website since your planning to use the brake parts from them I hope the pads don't sheer off the backing plate and cause you to blow out the corvette calipers you put in. If that does happen who is responsible if your car gets totaled? They would just say it was an invalid installation and void the warranty and even if you tried to sue them you would be laughed out of the court room. If you are going to do the brake upgrade do it right with QUALITY parts or don't do it at ALL.

sugar ray
05-27-2011, 07:10 PM
well......that may be getting a little carried away. We understand where you are coming from and YES I also believe you get what you pay for. I did some research on primechoice before purchasing. They have been around for quite a while and apparently many, many dealerships will use their brake pads for their "USED" car sales simply because primechoice is the cheapest around.

I do "respect" yours and everyone's opinion on these boards. Partly why I come here. Anyways.....you wanna talk about cheap?? What is your take on "WORLD SUSPENSION" ???? Have you seen them on Ebay?? Now, they have been around for years!! China made parts. I looked up ball joints for the heck of it on my 02. You can get TWO lower ball joints with free shipping from them for $20.99. Yes that is for 2 NOT one!!! wow!! Now......that may raise up the "scary" flag. Mass produced from China. I do NOT think I would put those on a winter beater rusted out on its last legs

Yet.....they have over 90,000 sales on ebay alone

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Lower-Ball-Joints-Skylark-Cavalier-Malibu-GRAND-AM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aPontiacQ7cModelQ3aG randQ20AmQ7cYearQ3a2002QQhashZitem20b79f0811QQitem Z140519606289QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fA ccessories

MKEGuy
05-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Right and thats why the parts all look just a little bit different? Seriously the parts that come off that website i'm sure will eventually fail. That website also looks like one of those fly by night places. Meaning when enough of the parts they sold fail or end up killing someone they shut it down and go into hiding. Rockauto.com has been around for a few years and their parts are reliable. This website you have no idea who made what you are getting. So rather then buy from "manufacturer direct" I would buy from a parts store or Rockauto so I know I have a valid warranty. This website seems like the kind of website that only stocks parts for cars under 15 years old as well. Good luck making your car last if you buy parts from this website since your planning to use the brake parts from them I hope the pads don't sheer off the backing plate and cause you to blow out the corvette calipers you put in. If that does happen who is responsible if your car gets totaled? They would just say it was an invalid installation and void the warranty and even if you tried to sue them you would be laughed out of the court room. If you are going to do the brake upgrade do it right with QUALITY parts or don't do it at ALL.

I'm not going to respond to someone who can't read what I wrote. Good day sir.

cardude007617
05-28-2011, 01:15 AM
ya that site looks sketch as hell. I haven't seen such a basic store website in a LONG time. I wouldn't trust anything dealing with safety from them.

cars are expensive to own and operate and should be repaired with at least decent quality stuff (super cheap tires are a huge gripe of mine as they are what helps your car stop, turn and go; all of which are important in accident avoidance). I know people are on budgets but at least go to a local auto store and get their stuff.

SevereDevil
05-28-2011, 01:17 AM
i still prefer ebay. cheap and good quality =]

AaronGTR
05-29-2011, 10:03 AM
You still have to be very careful what you buy on ebay. There is a lot of cheap crap on there too. I will only buy certain things on there and I usually research the seller and the item brand before I buy.

[ChaosweaveR]
05-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Dude, that site is sketchy as fock. They'll never see my hard earned money.

You get what you pay for, and cheaping out on your brakes, just because it's a daily driver and you're frequent on maintainence...that's a piss poor excuse to buy cheap knock off no name brands.

burgett2103
05-29-2011, 04:25 PM
What in the hell is Prime Choice? lol

cardude007617
05-29-2011, 05:04 PM
i still prefer ebay. cheap and good quality =]

This is true, when you're buying name brand parts at cheap prices and avoiding the mark up retailers put on them. I wouldn't trust anything on my car or anyone else's (except exhaust parts that take little to no skill to make) that was made in china or anywhere else where the standards are much lower.

cutlsp
05-29-2011, 05:15 PM
What in the hell is Prime Choice? lol

This they might say they sell to dealerships. Seriously the dealership I worked at bought WAGNER brake parts for the used cars they refurbished to sell. However that was only if they couldn't get the brakes from other local dealerships first. They might sell to the fly by night dealerships again not a place to buy a car.

oldschoolguy
05-30-2011, 09:00 AM
I installed my parts today. Drove about 100 km's. So far so good!! :applause:

yes I am sure the better name brands are nicer quality. Our Grand-Am is our daily driver. I am fairly persistent on routine maintenance. If I get a year out of the stuff, so be it. I have limited options as far as parts in my area. Besides the dealership our only local store is a place named "Lordco" Anyone in BC Canada will know what I am talking about when I say "there mark up is ridiculous!!" When I did my LIM gasket they quoted me $285 for Felpro's LIM gasket. That was NO kit just the LIM gasket itself. For half that price I got the exact same felpro gasket as an entire kit (heads,lim,etc..) on ebay.

So no, I probably would not install these parts on your modified high performance GT. BUT.....for our daily cruiser and trips to the grocery store. They do just fine!!

BC guy here. If you go to Lordco, just tell them to go through some company account which gives max discount. They'll do it. If they don't just tell them you'll leave. that'll net you a 30% discount.
BTW hi from Chilliwack.