Please Help...Weird problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Please Help...Weird problem

rap219
05-24-2011, 01:10 AM
I know this is the GA forum and I Drive an Alero daily and have A GA for show. But my question is about a Sunfire. I just bought a 2000 2.2L with 56,000 miles for my wife to save some money on gas. Just finished fixing it, (body damage) and drove it home. Went to the store, got gas, ect. got home that night and parked it. We went to leave sunday morning and it wouldn't start. It just cranked and backfired ocassionally. So i've been at it two days and still have gotten no where. Has spark, Checked fuel, its good, pulled timing cover, timing is perfect and chain is great. Swapped out the Crankshaft sensor. Everything checks out fine. Fuses are good. Plugs and wires are new. No oil in water or water in oil. Car ran great when i parked it. I guess thats why i'm so confused. What could have happen over night to cause it to not run? Thanks a bunch for your help, Rick

sugar ray
05-24-2011, 02:09 AM
FUEL PUMP???

They can croak without warning.

Another possibility is that the pick-up screen in the tank has become plugged. Suggest to get a reading on the fuel rail pressure to see if fuel is making it to the injectors. There is a Schrader valve (like a tire inflation valve) on the fuel rail to check the pressure. Make sure fuel is reaching the rail.

Also, this valve can be depressed to see if fuel comes out - but be careful, may be upwards of 40psi that will spray everywhere, not to mention the hazard of atomized gasoline floating around.

rap219
05-24-2011, 07:00 AM
no valve on a sunfire, go figure. but i pulled the line and it had good pressure.

03GAGTdriver
05-24-2011, 03:14 PM
I have a 2000 cavalier which did the same, parked it one evening and the next morning wouldn't start. It was the fuel pump on mine. Apparently they are famous for them. Found a way to get it started which was told to me by a friend just to get it to the garage to save money on towing. Thats was to use a rubber mallet and stike the bottom and sides of the tank closer to the rear of the car and behold it started. It usually stalls after a few minutes of running but it shoud fire back up with no problems. If you try this and it starts its the pump.

rap219
05-24-2011, 07:51 PM
yeah, the mallet works great for that...but for an update, I did a compression check and had nothing on all four. Pulled valve cover and all the pushrods had some how came unseated from the rockers. I noticed the forth was bent. Other three were fine and i installed them and got 100+ pounds of comprssion from each cylinder, new pushrods come in the morning. What could cause a bent pushrod? Never made a sound. I had just washed the car and motor prior to problem possibly hydro locked it somehow? Timing is on. I checked the gears yesterday and they were both on there marks, chain tight no play and tensioners great. Only has 56k miles so maybe the sitting for 8 years? I'll post up tomorrow once i swap out all four. I figure since they all got kicked they might all be tweaked and i'd rather do them all at once for $10 more then do others later.